Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Are the Patriots just having a little too much fum running up the score?

i dont have a problem with it, but they dont have to go for it on 4th down when thry're up 42-7 in the 4th quarter..thats kind of disrepectful

Favorite Answer

Going for it on fourth down when up by several scores is not disrespectful. When a team is up by a large margin in the second half they want to eat up clock, with scoring being a mere afterthought. Kicking a field goal stops the clock as it is a change of possession. By going for it, a team ensures that the clock keeps ticking. Also, worst case scenario is that they turn it over on downs deep in opposing territory, giving the opposition garbage field position, and their having to drive the length of the field also eats clock. What would be really disrespectful is if they decided to take knees in the third when up by that much. This would force the opposition to burn valuable timeouts on clock management, and then the punter would pin them back to wherever. That is disrespectful. To go for it is merely what you are supposed to do.

It wasn't disrespectful to go for it on 4th down at this time in the game. They weren't trying to score more points, they did this for two main reasons. First of all, they wanted Randy Moss to enjoy 5 TD's on the game, beating today's Terell Owen's 4 TD game. And this would be the last scoring drive they'd have with their starters Brady and Moss so they decided to make the most of it. The other reason was because that scoring drive came so far, they were in the Goal area. On the 3rd down play, Brady passed into the endzone and Moss couldn't retrieve the ball just by a little. So not going for it, resulting in no touchdown, would cause shame to Moss for not bringing that TD into the zone. But when they went for it, Brady ended up not even passing to Moss, as there were too many defenders on him, he decided to pass to their TE.

Listen, I know this is hard to grasp if you are not a Patriot, Patriot fan or someone who empathises with the Pats!!

The Pat feel (although the league says they are the ones) cheated. They had their game ball taken by the bully and they want it back!!!!

Belechick has every right to put one on the NFL for the fall he took for something several coaches were doing...(sporting news aug. 07. Manning interview) If I was him I would have a chip on my shoulder too.

I would go out and try to win the superbowl and break every record I can on the way. Oh yeah.....I forgot.....What the hell is wrong with that!!! we talk about NFL legacies every day, why can't a team try to create their own. This is the most rediculous conversation ever!!!

• Jon R

Bills are lucky that Belichick respects Dick Jauron; it could have been MUCH MUCH worse.

Brady and Moss didn't play the entire 4th quarter.

Patriots laid back on D as well.

What else do you want from them? Hell they even PUNTED....

Trust me....If the Patriots were trying to run up the score, it would have been more like 70/77-10.

Is kicking a FG any worse? The Pats ran their 2nd string FB right up the gut and the Bills couldn't stop them. Maybe teams shouldn't be down 5 TD's in the 3rd quarter.

How is that being disrespectful? That is called playing out the game to the best of your abilities.

It would be disrespectufl NOT to do this because then you are saying that you are so much better than your oponent that you don't "need" any "extra" points. That is stinking thinking you need as many points as possible for the entire duration of the game.

Listen... I think it is a lot more disrespectful to treat a team like you don't need to try. By always going for it... the Patriots are giving the defense of the opposing team every oppurtunity to stop them defensively. "It's not the offenses job to stop playing offense... it's there job to score and it's the defenses job to stop them." You know who said that? Al Michaels and John Madden.

• Rich

I think it is great. I have been waiting for a team that will never quit, never take it easy, never stop while the game is going. They are trying to make a statement - they are not making any bones about it, they want to be called the best, they want to be undefeated, and they want to remove all doubt about it. I think it is one of the best sports stories of all time, if they pull it off. If a team doesn't like it - stop them.

it could also be disrespectful if they kick the field goal...it just depends on how you look at it....but the thing is they passed for it...so i can see how bothering it is. i have only seen it one time, where the redskins back when they won the superbowl in the 90s, they had a big lead in a game and they could have gone for it on fourth and short, or kick the field goal....mark rypien ended up going to knee on fourth down. again i have only seen that happen once. joe gibbs was the coach.

Am I the only one who thinks the real insult is that the Buffalo Bills kept their starters in until the end of the game!!! Show some respect Buffalo!!!

If Buffalo doesn't give up then why should the Pats?