Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 1 decade ago

My nVidia GeForce GO 7400 has 64 dedicatd memory but vista says it has 61 how can I fix this?

• Jim B
    Favorite Answer

Though I can't say for sure why it saying that, I suspect what happened in that the manufacturer defined MB as 1000 bytes instead of 1024. That 24 byte loss may change the number significantly. (though a rough estimation in my head says thats probably not enough to drop 3MB)

The other thing that could have happened, is that the card is using the lost memory for internal operations, like addressing, so you only have 61 MB actually available for use by your system.

Finally, some parts of the memory may have somehow becomes inaccessible, damaged or destroyed. The only way to practically fix this is to get a replacement. Maybe its under warranty?

That kind of problem is usually a firmware type of problem. The only hope you can possibly have to getting an improvement is to a) get a new card, which I wouldn't recommend, unless you have money to burn =), or b) download and install the latest drivers for you card.

If you're running Vista, that in itself may be the root of the problem...

If it really bothers you, you can try calling GeForce about it...

That is quite ok you cannot fix that non memory come with the exact amount. example a 60 gb hard drive is not really 60 gb its about 57 or 58 gb there is always a few missing because of bad sector on hard drive and similar on memory.