Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 decade ago

I am a class 8 student and have got a poem named 40 love by Roger McGough?

I am a class 8 student and have got a poem named 40 love by Roger McGough in my english literature book which I am giving below and there are also some questions related to the poem which I am not able to answer.So could you all please answer to these questions after reading the poem.The poem goes this way- middle aged couple playing tennis when the game ends and they go home the net will still be between them.The qustions are-1.what does the name of the poem suggest?2.Does the way the poem is written affect the way it sounds?what is the affect created?3.what do you think the poem is about?? '

Favorite Answer

40 Love is a score in tennis - it means that one person (40) achieved all the points and the other person (love) had none.

It is a bit of irony, since normally you would think of "love" between a married couple as being actual...love. However, in tennis, "love" is a score of "0".

The way the poem is written (I'm assuming it's written in either three or four lines) gives a setting, a rising action, and an anticlimax.

Basically, they have no relationship. They compete for everything, and one always wins while the other always loses. Even though they're doing something together and "acting" like a married couple, they always have a wall between them.

• ?

40 Love Poem

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/aydMN

I read this out loud to my husband. We both laughed. Thanks for that!