Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

Anyone ever used Pennzoil Synthetic motor oil?

As a rule of thumb I stay far away from Pennzoil .....just curious how their synthetic is.

Favorite Answer

As long as it complies with API class SM or SL, it should provide a high degree of engine protection.

The top oil marketers are just very good at marketing and promotions. Different brands of API class SM oils provide similar level of engine protection. They know it very well and experts know it too well also. So the marketers just make the "differentiation" through heavy promotions in racing as well as getting top endorsers.

I prefer to buy my oil based on quality rather than promotions, thus I keep myself updated with API oil quality levels.

Source(s): Personal experience maintaining 2 cars and 2 diesel vans.

It's fair. Remember, almost all synthetic oils are 'blends' unless stated on the bottle that it's either fully synthetic or 100% synthetic.

Mobil 1 and Royal Purple are examples of fully synthetic oils. And the price proves it. Mobil 1 also has a blended synthetic for the price of Pennzoil's.

Motor oil comes in various grades and in this case this oil is a very good grade due to the chemicals it contains, they are added to the oil to: 1.- Clean the engine 2.-Reduce friction = longer engine life 3.-Endure high temperature without loosing it properties. 4.-Help cool the engine. This particular oil is very good especially if it is synthetic, that's why it has a higher price tag.

a friend put some in his car by mistake and he actually went longer before his oil light came on.

Quaker State is better than pennzwax