Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelEurope (Continental)Other - Europe · 1 decade ago

Can I get information on backpacking through Europe?

I am 20 years old and want to backpack through Europe really badly over the summer. What is the best way to go about planning this type of trip? Where should I go/stay away from? About how much should I plan on spending?

Favorite Answer

Money: 50 EUR per day and person plus price of flight tickets to Europe.

Planning: Get a good guidebook like Lonely Planet, Let's Go, Rough Guide, etc.

Where to go to: see the guidebook or ask more specific questions (like "where to go to in Belgium when you have a week there").

A place with like-minded people:

http://www.travellerspoint.com/

A blog you might want to read:

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/europe...

You can do this one of two ways, you can either buy a two month Youthrail pass and then your transportation and your sleeping arrangements are taken care of for 2 months... but that second month is expensive. OR you can buy just a ONE MONTH pass and not activate it until you have already been in Europe for a week or two. The time doesn't start until you activate it, so you can just keep it in your pocket until you are ready to lose it. If you want to be comfortable and have some room to do things on the spur of the moment, you need to have about $1000 per person per MONTH... so for 2 months that would be $2000 each. Before you do anything else, go to any bookstore in any mall and pick up "EUROPE BY EURAIL" and the "THOMAS COOK EURAIL TIMETABLE"... you will learn to live by those 2 books. You may also pick up FODOR'S EUROPE, but if you only want to carry 2 books, then get the first 2. The first one is a good general guide book and the second one is a timetable for ALL of the Eurail trains... times, stations, etc and you can't backpack without it. Mainly, you will be sleeping on trains at night and sightseeing during the day. If you want to spend more than one day exploring, then you arrive in the morning... sightsee during the day... get on the train to some overnight destination (this is why you MUST have the Timetable book) then you sightsee all day... get back on the train that night and go back to the first city. Back when I was your age, I had a few clothes in a small back pack and my guitar and made some decent money playing on street corners or in subway stations, so if you or your buddy can play guitar, you may want to think about that. Have fun

Listen, from experience I recommend staying at hostels. They cost about 10-15 USD/night. Don't be out late at night just in case you get lost!! There are a lot of freaks out late at night.