Ring Around the Rosie ANTICHRISTIAN ?

I heard the song Ring Around the Rosie has its origin in the Black Plague or some Indian influence , therefore it is against Christianity . Do you know any details why would it be against Christianity ?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

The rhyme didn't start about the plague, but was altered by the children to be about the plague. Posies (flowers) were put in the pockets to try to mask the smell of rotting flesh. The ashes were from the cremation of all the bodies. I don't see where this would be against Christianity with the exception of maybe the cremations. The only other thing that I heard was that there was an infestation of rats because many cats were believed to be Satan's minions and were killed in huge numbers. It was a misguided superstition of the day and may have contributed to the rat infestation.

Whoever started that rumor is an idiot. The ring around the rosies song is a direct reference to the Black Plague of the 1300s. Heres the background.

Ring around the rosies = circles on the cheeks (side effect of the plague)

pocket full of posies = pockets stuffed with roses ( a common folk prevention for the plague at the time)

ashes to ashes = cremation of the dead bodies (which was the only way to destroy spreading the plague)

we all fall down = everyone dies (from the plague)

Nothing christian or witchcrafty or anything else about it.

• Evieve

How is the Black Plague against Christianity? That's like saying Bird Flu is against Christianity.

EDIT: I have never sung the song as "Ashes ahes" and only discovered that some people do on Yahoo Answers. In my part of the world, it is "a-tissue a-tissue we all fall down". Interesting

It is not anti-Christian. Ring around the rosie is a reference to the rosary, and people praying to over-come the plague. As Robin stated, the posies were to mask the smell of death, and the "ashes, ashes,..." part was a reference to the burning of the bodies and to the fact that there was no cure (we all fall down).

How is the Black Plague against Christianity. It was a disease. That's like say the common cold is against Islam. You must be a moron.

• Has nothing to do with the black plague, although it is a common misconception.

http://www.snopes.com/language/literary/rosie.asp

I have no idea why they would consider it anti-Christian either way.

had every thing to do with the plague and nothing to do with religion. pocket full of posies...(stop you from stinking while dead or dieing)

im sure some said it was a punishment from god in some sort. but it comes down to it... it was a disease.... it killed and it had nothing to do with god. it was fleas from the rats.

science prevails again

Plague yes. I fail to see how that is Anti-Christian

I stand corrected. It's not about the plague. Still nothing anti-Christian