How can i tell if my rear axle is cracked/broken?

I drive a 92 Mercedes-Benz 190E. Whenever i take off from a stop my first gear makes a weird rapid clunking noise until it switches to second with a jolt.

Perhaps this may be a combination of my rear axle and my transmission, considering the fluid hasn't been flushed in a while.

This all started after my friend told me to rev then shift to second... I'll never do that again...

Any help would be great!

• Pey
    Favorite Answer

An axle can be cracked/broken, but think there is another reason for your problem. If it is cracked/broken, it will fail and come out. Change the fluid by having it flushed and then change the fluid and filter. That would be the least expensive thing to try first. If that does not work, the expense will be really great. Good luck!

highly doubt it is either the trans or the rear axle.... those are generally built to take some punishment... sounds more like the universal joints (u-joints) in the drive shaft... they are probably the weakest link in the drivetrain and depending on mileage they wear out anyways.... they are not real expensive to buy - less than $50 normally and can be done in a half hour or so.... good luck with it

sounds like you blew the tranny