Is it wrong for me to want to get a sex change?

Ever scene I was about 15 I have always wondered what it would be like to be a girl and sometimes I think that I should have been one I said something to my sister about this and she said if that’s what I really want to do than I should do it if it makes me happy but I’m not sure if I should. If I did get a sex change and I started dating guys would that make me gay? I’m not gay I’ve never wanted to be with a guy either what should I do? Should I tell my parents I want to be a girl?

• Diane
    Favorite Answer

Many boys wonder what it's like to be a girl, and many girls wonder what it's like to be a boy; that's normal curiosity, it doesn't mean they're transsexual. From what you've written here, I don't think you are either, but that's just my opinion.

If you think you might be transsexual, find a counsellor or psychiatrist with experience in gender issues; he or she will be able to help you determine who you really are, and what you need to do about it.

Source(s): I'm transsexual.

See a therapist. Before you can even qualify to undergo Gender Correction Surgery, you have to have lived as your identified gender for a year. Most people are on hormone replacement for at least a period prior to doing that. In your case, probably the best thing you can do is talk to a professional about it, and try to sort out how you feel and make informed decisions. Don't worry too much about the permanency thing. You have to jump through a lot of hoops before you're allowed to do anything remotely permanent.

Dear Cattlin,

From the sound of your question i don't really believe you are a good candidate at this time for gender reassignment. Transition is NOT an easy road to head down and it’s a one-way trip. IF you are not 100% certain and committed… You will most likely be dissatisfied with the results.

Also you seem to be equating gender dysphoriea with sexual preference… NOT.

Who a person is inside/who that person chouses to live as, has vary little to do with who that person sleeps with.

MY advice to you at this time is get with a good therapist, with a solid background in gender eschews, and find out WHO you are.

Good luck in your life’s journey,

PennyAnn

No it's not wrong, but I would suggest waiting to do anything like surgery until you've figured it out a little more. You said yourself you're not sure, so make sure you're sure. Join a Yahoo Trans group...ask questions...read...learn....and then see if all the things add up to you wanting to change your sex...if so then go for it! And Good Luck to you!

No, it's not wrong at all. It is something to consider deeply and you owe it to yourself to explore this -- if you're questioning. In reference to "if I did get a sex change and began dating men would this make me gay" no it would not necessarily mean you were gay.

Here is more information regarding transexualism:

http://www.soc.ucsb.edu/sexinfo/?article=activity&...

Whatever you decide, there is nothing to be ashamed of. With regard to telling your parents, know this is your choice and when you are ready and feel comfortable (have more information) -- it will be easier to be open with them.

its not wrong to be who u are inside *thenks about it* i wud say , liek it wus weth me coming out as bi, its better to be reallay comfortable an sure about something before u give anyone the chance to challenge u on whut ur doing for ur happiness, or the way u are.

maybe u cud live as a gurl for a while an see if that clicks as right n_n

im bisexual, an a persons gender isnt reallay that important to me when it comes to love. if u had an operation, i suppose u wud be a socially, an self defined woman who likes men. but i dunt thenk thats as important as doing whut makes u happe :-} *hugs* gud luck! i hope i helped ♥

You were made the way you creator wanted you to be made.If GOD wanted you to be a girl,He would have made you a girl.Being curious is ok.Like the other person said,try living as a woman first.See if it is what you think it is.There are some things you can`t take back.A sex change is a very drastic thing to do when you aren`t even sure who you are.I know guys who are straight and married to a woman but like the feel of womens clothes on their skin.If you aren`t sure,then don`t do it.

There's nothing wrong with getting a sex change if that's how you truly feel. But, if you're having doubts, I suggest seeing a gender therapist for awhile to sort through your feelings.

And you don't HAVE to date guys. If that's not your orientation, that's not your orientation. I know a lot of male to female transsexuals that identify as lesbians. They are attracted to women.

Source(s): I'm a female to male transsexual.
  • Rick K

Wait until you're a little older, and capable of making your own decisions, and of paying for them.

At that support, do whatever you think you should do.

And I do believe that some transgenders consider themselves "lesbians!"

• not wrong at all, just have to think about things and finally figure out who you are. im just a little older but sometimes i stuggle with the same thoughts...although they are opposite. good luck.