Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

How do I stop my 1 1/2 year old Blue Heeler from digging?

I have a female blue heeler who is great dog. She is crate trained and does tricks. However, if I leave her outside she digs under the fence and other sections of the yard. My neighbors have already complained about it. I even installed a electric wire around my fence; she just digs under it. I love this dog and don't want to have get rid of it. Please help!

• anne b
    Favorite Answer

Your dog is bored to tears. Heelers need something to do-all the time. If not, they need to be with you, as they are very loyal and do NOT do well on their own without a job.

If you leave your dog out in the yard like this, she is not going to stop digging, and the destruction may get worse. She may even become a little aggressive.

If you love this dog, please start reading up on this breed before you have a dog you can't deal with. That would be a shame.

There are some great websites that post info about the breed in general, and some that go into temperament and what to expect from your Heeler. There is also a Cattle Dog group on Yahoo groups that can give you tips on how to get your girl to behave. The group is full of breeders, trainers and ranchers, all who own this breed.

My advice is do this soon. I have seen too many aggressive heelers in rescue because they weren't brought up right and weren't understood.

Source(s): dog rescue volunteer and owner of rescued Heeler

Why not just not leave her outside? If she's crate trained, it makes more sense to crate her when you can't watch her.

Other things you could try are putting bricks or cinder blocks in the area she starts to dig. She is a young dog and a smart dog and gets bored easily.

Bury chicken wire on your side of the fence. It needs to be attached to the bottom of the fence and be buried about 8-10 inches out and 6-8 inches down. It should like like an "L" when completed. Get boredom busters and increase her exercise.

Give your heeler a task to do, once she has a job, she will forget about digging.. is applys to my dog, he use to bite my sock, but after i ask hIm to look after my personal thing, like bag... he will just sits at my room to watch over... no one can enter... :)

Put black pepper in the holes to deter her and try give her something like a frozen bone or meat frozen in a Kong... the meat or bone is better frozen so it takes them longer to chew it which occupies them longer

I agree, give her a job. Get one of those Kong treats and let her work at it. Good for about 5 hours.

these dogs are very active so to prevent all this digging you should exercise alot because they dig when there bored

Give your heeler a job. This is what they were bred for...give it something to do, or supervise her when she is outside.

• i have a black lab and she did that , i whopped her butt every time she did it and she stopped , like a kid , spank it ,, ok not like todays kids , like when i was a kid and messed up and got my butt whooped , people cant do that nowadays , anywho , thats what worked ,, plus u let it out for enough tiime to go , and thats it , untill she grows up she'll do it