Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

If You Are an Atheist, Do You Believe That Meditation is Inconsistent with Atheism?

I'm just curious as to whether you consider meditation to be inherently religious, or if you believe that it is something that anyone can do. Comments, please; don't hold back on my account :-)

• Favorite Answer

I know lots of atheists and agnostics that meditate. It's not inherently religious or spiritual.

I don't think that meditation is inherently religious. I meditate, and I'm as far from religious as a person can get! I think LakynInfinity hit the nail right on the head.

Not at all - I've spent some time meditating and found nothing religious about it. The practice of attempting to think of nothing is an amusing exercise. I find it a useful thing to do when about to engage in anything very stressful (especially at work).

Meditation is not religious in any way. It is simply a higher level of thinking and a way to calm yourself, much like yoga. Only without the weird pants.

meditation is not always prayer. in prayer, you are speaking directly to the divine. some people claim one is speaking to himself when he prays and there is no god, so, a person is just speaking out loud to himself.

in meditation, you are concentrating on breathing, calming the mind and body, and focusing on perhaps a problem you wish to solve and ways to solve that problem. There is no mumbo jumbo to it. since meditation is more of a physical and psychological exercise, anyone can do it without wading through a religion's influence.

As an an agnostic I can clearly say there is nothing wrong with meditation. We are all told to meditate in a milder form when it's said, "Look before you leap" and, "Put your mind in gear before you act". Longer meditation in its general meaning is calmly reflecting deeply. It is often linked to religion but but it doesn't have to be.

Meditation is good for everyone and should be practiced by all. Religion or lack of religion has no bearing on meditation.

• ?

It all depends on why the individual meditates. I meditate to calm myself, and make sense of the day. Not to commune with any god.

Meditation is just a way to calm down and control your thoughts. It's quite a healthy practice and everyone should partake.

Source(s): Atheist

Not even close. There are verifiable medical benefits of meditation. It's not as much a spiritual exercise as it is a mental one.