Habiba C asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Does green tea have caffeine in it?

i'm tring to cut down caffeine in my diet.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Green tea has caffeine in it (about 32mg per 100ml vs. 40mg for coffee), but it also contains tannin which slows the absorption of the caffeine, giving it a weaker effect. This is what people usually mean when they say it contains "natural" caffeine (caffeine is a definite chemical compound, so caffeine is caffeine is caffeine, but what you consume it with will determine its effect.) How you steep the tea will determine both the amount of caffeine and the ratio of caffeine to tannin.

Most of the caffeine is released in the first minute or two, when you steep the tea. Most of the tannin is released some time after that. You can cut out much of the caffeine in green tea by steeping your tea for about two minutes, pouring out the tea, then re-adding hot water and drinking the second brew. This will leave you with around 1/2-3/4 less caffeine (something between 7 and 15mg per 100ml), and there will be more tannin to slow the absorption so it will have a less strong effect.

This is all very imprecise, so if you have to eliminate caffeine from your diet entirely I would steer clear of tea. But if you're just trying to cut back, drink the second brew.

• suzb49
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

You need to consider how benefits of green tea as opposed to the caffeine and figure from there if you want to cut down on the tea or quit it altogether.

• 4 years ago

Yes, but the difference with green tea is that it contains more antioxidants than some other teas and therefore better for you.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

oh yes, very much so. But it's so good. In fact, I don't drink coffee anymore because green tea gives me the same effect and it's so much healthier.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jody
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Yes.

• 1 decade ago

yes

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Natural caffene....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.