Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

Is that really Johnny Depp's voice in the upcoming 'Sweeney Todd' movie?

I was watching the preview to it earlier, and I couldn't help but wonder if it is really him singing?

Does anybody know?

Thanks for the answers if any. One reason I ask was because my niece was watching HSM, and I heard the first one was Zac Effrons voice, I figured maybed they did the same for Johnny Depp.

Favorite Answer

Of course it is! Johnny Depp came to California to be in a rock band, not to become an actor. That was sort of accidental. He sings, too, from what I have heard.

From Wikipedia:

Johnny Depp's mother bought her son a guitar when he was 12, and Depp began playing in various garage bands. His first band was in honor of his girlfriend Meredith. A year after his parents' divorce, Depp dropped out of high school to become a rock musician. ... He played with The Kids, a band that enjoyed modest local success. The Kids set out together for Los Angeles in pursuit of a record deal, changing their name to "Six Gun Method." ... The group split before signing a record deal. Depp subsequently collaborated with the band Rock City Angels and co-wrote their song "Mary," which appears on Rock City Angels' debut for Geffen Records titled "Young Man's Blues." ... Depp, a musician, is a guitar player. ... He played slide guitar on the Oasis song "Fade In-Out" (from Be Here Now, 1997), as well on "Fade Away (Warchild Version)" (b-side of the "Don't Go Away" single). He played acoustic guitar in the movie "Chocolat" and on the soundtrack to "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" (he wrote "Sands' Theme", although the track is credited to "Tonto's Giant"). He performed on his long-time friend Shane MacGowan's (The Pogues) first solo album and was a member of P, a group featuring Butthole Surfers singer Gibby Haynes and Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist Flea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Depp

I am pretty sure that they are using his voice. I mean whats the point in casting him if he wasn't the one singing. His charterer sings a lot in the movie.

Yes, it is - Steven Sondheim approved Johnny for the role.

Yes, everyone in the film who sings does their own singing.

Yes, that is his own singing voice. Tim wanted it in.

yep its him singing i can't wait to see the movie its gonna be great

• Kat*

You bet it is! Isn't it great? I'm so excited for this movie!!!