Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

Is that really Johnny Depp's voice in the upcoming 'Sweeney Todd' movie?

I was watching the preview to it earlier, and I couldn't help but wonder if it is really him singing?

Does anybody know?

Update:

Thanks for the answers if any. One reason I ask was because my niece was watching HSM, and I heard the first one was Zac Effrons voice, I figured maybed they did the same for Johnny Depp.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Of course it is! Johnny Depp came to California to be in a rock band, not to become an actor. That was sort of accidental. He sings, too, from what I have heard.

From Wikipedia:

Johnny Depp's mother bought her son a guitar when he was 12, and Depp began playing in various garage bands. His first band was in honor of his girlfriend Meredith. A year after his parents' divorce, Depp dropped out of high school to become a rock musician. ... He played with The Kids, a band that enjoyed modest local success. The Kids set out together for Los Angeles in pursuit of a record deal, changing their name to "Six Gun Method." ... The group split before signing a record deal. Depp subsequently collaborated with the band Rock City Angels and co-wrote their song "Mary," which appears on Rock City Angels' debut for Geffen Records titled "Young Man's Blues." ... Depp, a musician, is a guitar player. ... He played slide guitar on the Oasis song "Fade In-Out" (from Be Here Now, 1997), as well on "Fade Away (Warchild Version)" (b-side of the "Don't Go Away" single). He played acoustic guitar in the movie "Chocolat" and on the soundtrack to "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" (he wrote "Sands' Theme", although the track is credited to "Tonto's Giant"). He performed on his long-time friend Shane MacGowan's (The Pogues) first solo album and was a member of P, a group featuring Butthole Surfers singer Gibby Haynes and Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist Flea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Depp

• 1 decade ago

I am pretty sure that they are using his voice. I mean whats the point in casting him if he wasn't the one singing. His charterer sings a lot in the movie.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, it is - Steven Sondheim approved Johnny for the role.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, everyone in the film who sings does their own singing.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes, that is his own singing voice. Tim wanted it in.

• 1 decade ago

yep its him singing i can't wait to see the movie its gonna be great

• Kat*
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

You bet it is! Isn't it great? I'm so excited for this movie!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.