Which of these authors is good for a fantasy novel?

I'm having this English project, and I don't know which fantasy author is good. Or even what book to choose from them.

My assignment has a lot to do with archetypes. So I need a author/novel with a good archetype character.

I have the following authors to choose from:

Adams, Richard

Alexander, Lloyd

Anthony, Piers

Appelegate, Katherine

Asprin, Robert

Babbit, Natalie

Bakis, Kirsten

Barron, T.A.

Baum, L. Frank

Bell, Clare

Blalock, James

Bradley, Marion Zimmer

Brennan, Herbie

Brooks, Terry

Brust, Steven

Bull, Emma

Calhoun, Dia

Card, Orson Scott

Chamas, Suzy Mckee

Cooper, Susan

Curry, Jane Louise

Kank, Gloria

Darnton, John

Dean, Pamela

DeLint, Charles

Dixon, Chuck

Donaldson, Stephen R.

Drake, David

Duane, Diane

DuPrau, Jeanne

Eddings, David

Ende, Michael

Ewing, Lynne

Feist, Raymond E.

Finney, Jack

Fleischer, Leonore

Fletcher, Susan

Gaiman, Neil

Godwin, Parke

Grundy, Stephan

Hambly, Barbara

Hamilton, Virgina

(continued)

Haydon, Elizabeth

Hill, Douglas

Hite, Sid

Hughes, Monica

Jacques, Brian

Jones, Diana Wynne

Keller, Beverly

Kennedy, Richard

Kerner, Elizabeth

King, Stephen

La Haye, Tim F.

Lackey, Mercedes

LeGuin, Ursula

Leither, Valery

L'Engele, Madeleine

Lessing, Doris

Lewis, C.S.

McCaffery, Anne

Mckillip, Patricia A.

Murphy, Shirley

Rousseau

Nix, Garth

Norton, Andre

O'Shea, Pat

Paolini, Christopher

Pierce, Tamora

Pullman, Philip

Regan, Dian Curtis

Sherman, Josepha

Steele, Mary Q.

Russel, Sean

Reichert, Mickey

Reimann, Katya

Rice, Anne

Salvatore, R.A.

Springer, Nancy

Steinbeck, John

Stewart, Mary

Swift, Johnathan

Tepper, Sheri

Tokien, J.R.R.

Vande Velde, Vivian

Voigt, Cynthia

Weis, Margaret

White, T.H.

Williams, Tad

Wrightson, Patricia

Yolen, Jane

I'm looking for a book that will give me just enough to report on. Not too long, not too many hard words, and something entertaining.

So can you recommend any of these books for me?

Best Answer

Big list. I'll do my best.

J.R.R. Tolkien and Mary Stewart both deal with archetypal characters: the hero, the mentor etc., but their best works are trilogies, and rather long at that, so it wouldn't really work for you.

Eragon, by Christopher Paolini, is very archetypical (is that the right form?), but, in my opinion, it is a lousy book. The reason it is so archetypical is because there is NOTHING original about it, and, although good writing and characterization might forgive this fault, both are mediocre.

Susan Cooper, Pamela Dean, Lloyd Alexander, Brain Jaques and Diana Wynne Jones all use archetypes, but all write children's books. Diana Wynne Jones is admittedly a lot more sophisticated, and if you are willing to give her a shot, Fire and Hemlock is an excellent book, and based off of an old ballad (so plenty of archetypes there). But it is still, if not a children's book, a book for teenagers. The plot is also a little complex, and, while it is interesting, there is not a whole lot of action. It has a very dreamy quality.

Neil Gaiman is great. For your purposes, I would recommend American Gods, which has to do with old myths and legends. The main character is definitely an archetype. But the book is pretty... creepy. It's also pretty deep, and somewhat depressing. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty action. But read too much Neil Gaiman, and you start thinking that all life is is one night in a dingy hotel right off the highway in some godforsaken town in the middle of no where. Plus, it's pretty mature. Plenty sex, violence, and disturbing themes.

Watership Down has archetypes. They are bunnies. It's actually a pretty sophisticated book, for all that, and not too hard to read. It's relatively long, though.

Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card, is supposed to be very good, though I've never read it. It's not really sophisticated, but I have heard of them teaching it in Eighth Grade honors, and it isn't very long.

You have a lot of great choices. I love quite a few of them.

Anthony, Piers is one of my favorites. He did a series of immortality books that would be good as a study of archtypes.

* Incarnations of Immortality

1. On a Pale Horse (1983)

2. Bearing an Hourglass (1984)

3. With a Tangled Skein (1985)

4. Wielding a Red Sword (1986)

5. Being a Green Mother (1987)

6. For Love of Evil (1988)

7. ...And Eternity (1990)

8. Under a Velvet Cloak (Due out end of 2007)

• LK

In the midst of all that, looking for an "archetype," I saw Ursula Le Guin's name and the book "The Wizard of Earthsea" sort of leapt out in my mind.

It is a great book for what I think you need, and is also "entertaining, not too long, (and with) not too many hard words."

[If you really need a little push on what the book is about, I'll just say that a young man finds himself in the most incredible, interesting and elegant way I've read in fantasy.]

I've read the book many times and always like it.

If it's not at the bookstore, as it most likely will be, in the paperbacks (it's an old book)-- go to the library.

Good luck... so many of these authors wrote great books!

LLoyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles has a great archetype character in Prince Gwydion (Gideon). For an introduction to him, try The Book of Three. He's also very evident in The Castle of Llyr.

Warrior/prince heroic figure. He can easily be compared to Aragon in the Lord of the Rings.

Terry Brooks, hands down. Read the Magic Kingdom of Landover series, they are AMAZING, and they are EXCELLENT if you're looking for archetypes. It's a 5 book series, but you could just use the first one (Magic Kingdom: For Sale - Sold!) for your essay. Then I suggest you read the rest later for recreation, they are wonderful. He has a certain way of describing things that really warms your heart and makes you want to go live where ever he takes you in his writing. Pure genius. :)

I would recommend David Eddings--Pawn of Prophecy is the book to start with. I know he uses archetypes because he has written in other places explaining it. (if you enjoy this, keep on with the series)

Not sure what your looking for, but I just finished Charles DeLint's book called "The Blue Girl" which was pretty good and not too long. It's geared towards young adults but was a good read. It has to do w/ a couple of teenagers and their struggle w/ high school, figuring out who they are, and amongst the teenage angst, they had ghosts and fairies to deal with.

Big list you have there, look into Barry Hughart, not a well known author but it is what brought me into fantasy novels

My favorites are Tolkien, Swift, and Pullman. I also like Anthony, LeGuin, Gaiman, Adams and Rice.

I like these authors from your list:

Adams, Richard

O'Shea, Pat

Stewart, Mary

Tokien, J.R.R.

Voigt, Cynthia

Terry Pratchett is also excellent.