Is much of Modern Art a big put-on?

I have studied art in college, ....but I am far from being an expert.... and there are many modern Impressionist or Abstract works that I have seen that were truly (in my opinion) excellent works, but is it my imagination, or do I just not understandstand something?.........I have been to some exhibits, where, to... show more I have studied art in college, ....but I am far from being an expert.... and there are many modern Impressionist or Abstract works that I have seen that were truly (in my opinion) excellent works, but is it my imagination, or do I just not understandstand something?.........I have been to some exhibits, where, to put it mildly, the "art" that was being exhibited was nothing but garbage!...amateurish, infantile, arrogant, sick pieces of junk (and, as Woody Allen would say: "I say that with all due respect").....I was at one exhibit in Miami, Florida, where a work consisted of a small room-sized area that had, hanging from the ceiling by their feet, about a dozen life-sized baby dolls......that was it!!........when I verbally expressed my irritation that this work was considered "art", I was told: "oh, you just don't understand it".................no, I understood it all right...it was a piece of junk with a 5 figure price tag....and you know what?.....it sold!!......opinions please.
Update: Dear No One A......I have removed my answer from your question and in it's place I have apologized to you. I hope we're still friends.