Prep: 40 minutes
Cook: 1 hour 5 minutes
12 ounces fresh or frozen cooked split crab legs
8 ounces fresh or frozen shelled shrimp
1 pound skinless catfish, haddock, or orange roughy fillets (1/2 to 1-inch thick)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
5 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth
1 28-ounce can tomatoes, cut up
2 cups sliced okra or one 10-ounce package frozen cut okra, thawed
1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons file powder
4 cups hot cooked rice
1. Thaw crab and shrimp, if frozen. Remove crabmeat from shells, then cut crabmeat into bite-size pieces. Devein shrimp. Cut fish into 1-inch pieces. Cover and refrigerate the shellfish and fish until needed.
2. For gumbo, in a 5-quart heavy Dutch oven melt margarine. Stir in flour. Cook and stir over medium-low heat for 20 to 25 minutes or until a dark reddish brown roux is formed. Add onion, green pepper, and garlic. Then continue cooking and stirring over medium-low heat about 15 minutes or until the vegetables are very tender.
3. Gradually stir in chicken broth. Then stir in the undrained tomatoes, okra, thyme, pepper, and bay leaf. Bring to boiling, then reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Carefully add crab, shrimp, and fish. Return just to boiling, then reduce heat. Cover and simmer gently for 2 to 4 minutes or until shrimp turns pink and fish is done. Remove from heat. Stir in file powder.
5. To serve, remove bay leaf. Spoon the gumbo over the hot rice in individual soup bowls. Makes 8 servings.
Cajun Seafood Gumbo
Prep: 20 min.
Cook: 55 min.
12 ounces fresh or frozen peeled and deveined shrimp
6 ounces fresh or frozen crabmeat
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cooking oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped red sweet pepper
1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
3 cups chicken broth, heated
1 14-1/2-ounce can tomatoes, cut up
1-1/2 cups sliced okra or one 10-ounce package frozen cut okra
2 bay leaves
1/2 pint shucked oysters, drained
3 cups hot cooked rice
1. Thaw shrimp and crab, if frozen. For roux, in a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven combine flour and oil until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir about 10 minutes more or until roux is light reddish brown.
2. Stir in onion, red sweet pepper, green sweet pepper, garlic, salt, black pepper, and ground red pepper. Cook over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are just crisp-tender, stirring often.
3. Gradually stir in hot chicken broth. Stir in undrained tomatoes, okra, and bay leaves. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
4. Stir in shrimp, crabmeat, and oysters. Simmer, covered, about 5 minutes more or until shrimp turn opaque and oysters curl around the edges. Discard bay leaves. Serve in bowls with rice. Makes 6 servings.