JANE EYRE how did she "keep her rights" ???

how did jane eyre show her strong will and keep her rights

I NEED EXAMPLES

• ck1
    Favorite Answer

Jane Eyre stood up to her Aunt, Mrs. Reed, before being sent away to Lowood school. See Chapter 4: "How dare I, Mrs. Reed? How dare I? Because it is the TRUTH. You think I have no feelings, and that I can do without one bit of love or kindness; but I cannot live so: and you have no pity. I shall remember how you thrust me back--roughly and violently thrust me back--into the red-room, and locked me up there, to my dying day; though I was in agony; though I cried out, while suffocating with distress, 'Have mercy! Have mercy, Aunt Reed!' And that punishment you made me suffer because your wicked boy struck me--knocked me down for nothing. I will tell anybody who asks me questions, this exact tale. People think you a good woman, but you are bad, hard-hearted. YOU are deceitful!"

Ere I had finished this reply, my soul began to expand, to exult, with the strangest sense of freedom, of triumph, I ever felt. It seemed as if an invisible bond had burst, and that I had struggled out into unhoped-for liberty. Not without cause was this sentiment: Mrs. Reed looked frightened; her work had slipped from her knee; she was lifting up her hands, rocking herself to and fro, and even twisting her face as if she would cry."

Jane Eyre shows her strength of will through her very survival at Lowood School, which was full of deprivation and sickness.

Jane Eyre also shows her independence by advertising for a job outside of Lowood, instead of taking the path of least resistance and continuing to be an underpaid worker at the school. (chapter 10)

Jane shows her strength all through the book. She shows it by going off into the unknown and leaving the known behind (when she went to Thornfield Hall). She shows it by keeping her head when Rochester's curtains are on fire and she can't wake him (chapter 15), she shows it by tending to Mr. Mason (chapter 20) though she's afraid, she shows it when standing up to Mr. Rochester whom she thinks is telling her she must leave Thornfield in chapter 23: "Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong!--I have as much soul as you,--and full as much heart! And if God had gifted me with some beauty and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you. I am not talking to you now through the medium of custom, conventionalities, nor even of mortal flesh;--it is my spirit that addresses your spirit; just as if both had passed through the grave, and we stood at God's feet, equal,--as we are!"

She shows it in chapter 27 when she determines she must leave Mr. Rochester and Thornfield instead of giving in to the temptation of living with him - and having love - without the benefit of marriage. That shows enormous strength of spirit, adherence to Christian duty, independence and even courage. Again she must leave the familiar and brave the unknown.

She shows her independence when she refuses to marry St. John out of duty and no love in chapter 35.

The whole novel shows her strength of spirit, her independence; it never waivers.

She will not become his Mistress and be looked down upon by society. She will not give up her virtues and enter a false marriage in the eyes of god, and she will not enter an acceptable marriage to a man she doesn't love. Even when she knows she will marry Rochester she doesn't give up her place as a governess. When as a child she is asked if she wants to go live with her poorer relatives in the country she refuses.

• zimmer

i like the two books plenty! Villette is one among those complicated and clever and poetic e book, pre-Freudian and pre-existentialism, Jane Eyre on the different hand is one among those heat e book, the essence of love. it is going to constantly thrills me. so because it became the previous flame, I would desire to declare Jane Eyre, even though i detect myself quoting extra regularly Villette and that i've got faith it turns into interior the destiny extra costly than Jane Eyre.