Big Ten vs. SEC??

I think both fans should acknowledge that throughout history, both confrences are about equal. I'm a sec fan, and i have respect for the big ten. Historically they have very strong teams and i enjoy watching some of the teams play. What do you think??

Favorite Answer

As an SEC fan and supporter, I agree. I believe that the Big Ten is in a slump and has been too arrogant to admit it and adjust, but I know that college football is cyclical. The time will come for the SEC to have an unimpressive conference, too, once the rest of the country begins to stop the SEC.

It looks like it has already started to happen, too. I bite my tongue when I talk negatively about the Big Ten because the way that the Pac-10 and Big 12 are playing this year could make the SEC look not-so dominant come bowl season.

Football strategists always say that speed is the great equaliser, and the SEC has speed everywhere. Watching the Ohio State-Michigan game today made me realize how much slower their game is (not that everyone was slow, there are still players in the Big Ten with world-class speed). Right now I think the SEC just has a match-up advantage over the Big Ten. Coaches will figure it out and game plan to stop SEC schemes, though - they always do.

I agree that they are about even. The Big 10 has some pretty good head to head results in bowl games with the SEC too. Really the only one recently that wasn't a good close game was the NC game last year.

Good teams rise to the top no matter who they play. OSU and Michigan would be just fine in the SEC just as LSU and Florida would be just fine in the Big 10 if they switched leagues for few years. This goes for the Big 10, Pac 10, SEC, ACC, and Big 12. The top teams can hang in any conference almost every year.

I agree that they are both top conferences but I have to say the SEC is still a couple notches higher in talent than the big ten. With all do respect how many teams from the big ten could actually beat teams like LSU, Florida, and Tennesssee more than half the time? Though I think there are many good teams in the Big ten there style of football just wont cut it. Plus alot of the "weaker" teams in the SEC are causing havoc for lots of teams elsewhere and within the SEC. I enjoy college football and that is my humble opinion.

Tomorrow there will be 4 SEC ranked teams, and 3 Big Ten ranked teams. Until bowl games thats the best way to judge the conferences...

I think both are good conferences. Lots of comparisons are done by conference vs conference games. Sometimes those games turn our being Big 10 #2 vs SEC #9 or vice versa. that isnt a very good comparison between the two. even though it could never happen, Id like to see 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2 and so on and just see how it turned out.

Hey, I'm the first to agree. The SEC is tough. But the SEC fans have selective amnesia--they remember Florida beating Ohio State but forget Penn State beating Tennessee and Wisconsin beating Arkansas. They see Illinois beat OSU and think it proves the Big Ten is weak, while soon to be unranked Kentucky's win over LSU somehow proves the opposite. Well, we'll just see what happens the rest of the way.

I am a huge big ten fan, but this year the sec would tear them apart. I look at the sec's schedules and it's one hard game after another. The big ten used to be that way and I am sure in a few years it will be back to that again. I am just happy my team in not in the sec right now.

I think they are both great, nobody can deny that. But they also play two very different styles of football. warm weather ball vs. cold weather ball. SEC is faster, Big 10 is a lot more about power and defense. both conferences have great teams that are fast, have great defenses, blah blah blah, football rules.

Its hard to compare them because the teams hardly play each other as the SEC plays in a much warmer climate most of the time as their players can handle the hotter and more humid weather down there in football, while in the BIG TEN they play in colder and inclement weather later in the fall which affects your muscle flexibilty and footing. Basketball wise the SEC probably rules with the Florida Gators. the BIG TEN is actually going further downhill in basketball more than it is in football.

• RB

I too am a fan of the SEC so my answer may be bias. The SEC plays the best brand of football in the nation. There is nothing else like a Saturday afternoon in Knoxville with 110,000 fans in Neyland Stadium.