j asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 decade ago

Could someone give me a sentence fir abyss?

definition-a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity; vast chasm

Favorite Answer

dictionary.com has nice examples. So does Merriam-Webster.

An immeasurably deep chasm, depth, or void: "lost in the vast abysses of space and time" (Loren Eiseley).

Here's an orignal one:

He fell into the dark abyss.

Well, three factors to consider with the sentence: first, an abyss is effectively empty, anyway, so I would consider it redundant; secondly, an abyss is one of those "ultimate" descriptors these days - that is, there's not much that surpasses an abyss - so how can an abyss be ignored, hmm? Thirdly, that word "feeling" is used twice... Hmmm. Gotta do something about that. And finally, (fourthly?) when I get an abysmal (adj. of abyss) feeling, it's truly tough to ignore! It's realty-wrenching, it approaches the sense of doom, you don't even know if there an end. Your stomach is a container with an in and an out. A closed system. Gotta change that, me thinx. Having said all that, I don't think you've ever truly sensed the "abyss". Have you yet almost died - and I don't mean "died" because you couldn't buy a cute pair of shoes - I mean truly come close to death?

• ?

Immeasurable In A Sentence