Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

I was watching the local news about tipping & they said you should tip 20%. Does it sound right?

Was the news piece over exaggerating? I thought it was 15% Many of us can't afford 20%. It's as if the waiter was sitting at the table with 4 others eating...1/5? What do you think?

Favorite Answer

I hate it when people say pontificate about an "appropriate" amount or percentage for tipping.

Tip in accordance with the level of service quality you received. Sometimes, it's more than 20%, sometimes it's a few pennies.

I think the most appropriate tip for poor service isn't ZERO but a few red cents.

• bmi=22

I would say 15% is right, unless it's a very swanky restaurant and you had an elaborate dinner requiring a lot of the wait staff's attention.

Yes -- there has been a movement afoot in recent years to try to get the percentage up to 20, but unless you received exceptional service, I would stick with 15%. And, on the flip side, if you did not receive good service, I would tip less than 15%. Tipping for poor service only encourages more poor service.

I think tipping is terribly demeaning. It means someone has to stand around waiting for you to give them money - just like in the lovely old days of slavery when Massa would flip a coin to the 'boy' for shining his shoes.

If someone has a job, they should be paid by their employer. They should know exactly how much they are getting. If that means meals will cost a little more, then so be it. But the present system is truly degrading. In many countries of the world, waiters and waitresses don't accept tips.

As far as how much a tip should be - didn't the rule used to be 'give whatever you wish to say thank you for special service.' How did it get from that to a compulsory 20% regardless of what the level of service is?

Let's abolish tipping, bring in fair wages, and be done with this archaic nonsense.

No, it's been 15% for years and I'm sticking with 15%. If the server is bad, I leave even less.

I know they want us to start tipping 20% and I've tipped that and more for really good service but I usually tip 15%.

I think a blanket 20% is silly. If you have dinner at fancy restaurant, do you really give a tip of $20 even though the waiter didn't do anymore than the waiter would at Denny's? Tipping is out of control and waiters should make a wage comparable to other service industries so we wouldn't have to worry about this anymore.

First off, tipping is always optional. If you have been served well, then a 15% would be in order. If your server was a dope or didn't provide good service, -0- would be fine.

20% is simply too much.....it's ridiculous.

There are some "fine" restaurants (translate that to expensive and over the top) where a 20% might be in order. However, for everyday dining, 15% is plenty.

• maxmom

The expected normal amount is 15%. For excellent service, 20%.

• Mike

15% is the AVERAGE in USA. If you are ever in Europe, be advised they ADD "servis"--a charge of about 15 % to your bill as an AUTOMATIC service charge. They LOVE the American tourists who think this is a TAX and still tip 15 % ABOVE THAT.

The norm is between 15 -20%

• WITH THE COST OF LIVING SO HIGH ANYMORE 20% IS ABOUT RIGHT, UNLESS YOUR WAITER OR WAITRESS WAS ABSOLUTELY THE BEST, MEANING YOU DID NOT HAVE TO REQUEST ANYTHING, THEY WERE RIGHT "BOOM" THERE TO SERVE YOU WITH YOU EVERY WANT...OR NEED

DID YOU KNOW SINCE SENATOR BOB DOLE WAS IN OFFICE, HE CHANGE THINGS LIKE OHHH YOU HAVE TO INCLUDE YOUR TIPS AS PART OF YOUR WAGE... SO WAITERS AND WAITRESS ONLY MAKE ABOUT $2.50 PER HOUR... THATS WHY THE TIP THEY ARE GOING TO MAKE IS SO VERY IMPORTANT..

I HAVE SEEN MY DEAREST FRIEND WAIT ON A TABLES FROM 2 PEOPLE TO 10 ON VALENTINES DAY WHEN THE SPECIAL WAS LOBSTER, AN HERE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE COUNTRY WE DON'T GET LOBSTER SO ITS VERY EXPENSIVE $40.00 PER PERSON HERE AND SHE ONLY REC'D A $1 TIP, AND SHE BUSTED HER BEHIND BUT ON THE TICKET SHOWED SHE WAS TO GET 15% AND DIDN'T BUT SHE HAD TO CLAIM 15% AT TAX TIME...

WE HAVE LEFT 25% WHEN THEY WERE AWESOME..

SO DEPENDS ON WHAT CITY YOU LIVE IN, AND HOW THE COST OF LIVING IS IN THAT TOWN..

REMEMBER THAT TIPS HELPS THE WAITER & WAITRESS'S TO PAY THEIR BILLS OR PUT FOOD ON THEIR WON TABLE AT THEIR HOUSE..

I FEEL IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO TIP GO TO A DRIVE THRU, THERE IS NO SHAME IN THAT.

I HAVE BEEN SHORT AN I COULD AFFORD TO GO OUT TO A SIT DOWN DINNER, SO WE WENT TO THE DRIVE THRU.. NO ONE IS EMBARRASED.. YOU HAVE TO DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO IN THESE HARD TIME...

I HOPE THIS HAS HELP!

RESPECTFULLY

SILVERWOLFWON

AKA MOM

Source(s): WHAT WE HAVE DONE AN WHAT WE HAVE SEEN IN THE REAL WORLD.