What company did Columbia Gas sell to?

My parents owned mineral rights through Columbia Gas and since then they have passed away. My family is supposed to be receiving royalty checks but we aren't. I would like to track this down (I know where the gas well is located) but don't know how to begin searching. I know that this came through my grandfather then to my father but have lost track since then. The property is still in the family and I know that it was sold/leased to another company by Columbia Gas but this is all I know. How would I check this out legally or through open records? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Favorite Answer

Columbia Natural Resources was sold to Nisource in 2000 and then sold the company to Triana Energy three years later. Triana then sold the assets to Chesapeake Energy and Linn Energy LLC in 2005. The bulk of the assets are own by Chesapeake right now