promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why do they always kick the ball from the centre of the pitch regardless of where the 'touchdown' occured?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I assume you are talking about the extra point try after a touchdown. Simply put, the extra point doesn't get kicked from the place where the touchdown occurred because it is treated as a separate play, independent of the scoring drive. The ball for an extra point is placed at a point on the field marked with an X (I believe the two yard line).

Add on to that the fact that the placement of the ball, in general, by the officials in-between downs is somewhat arbitrary (they place it at some approximate point in-between the hash marks) laterally speaking. The officials' main concern is that they place it at the right measurement on the field. My point is, since the ball is approximately centered for all other plays in the game, it wouldn't make sense to care about the lateral placement of the ball when making an extra point try.

Source(s): NFL fan for over 15 years.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • JOHN D
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Just the rules Kickoff at the beginning of the half or after points are scored you line up center punts and field goals can be center right or left depending upon the previous play.

• Sundi
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

guess that's something they decided a long long long time ago and stuck with it. I assume that the "drive" is considered to be over when you score so the PAT has nothing to do with the previous play like a play would during the drive.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because it's the rules. End of.

And TP, the "pitch" is what people in other countries refer to as the "field"...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

because they get an extra point for that everytime they make an touchdown.

• 1 decade ago

This ain't Rugger, you know.

They just do. Unlike Rugger where they are "converting the try" - a continuation of the try.

They just do.

• 1 decade ago

what's the "pitch" ?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.