Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

To Mandarin speakers?

In terms of functionality, does 力劎 (lì jiàn) "sharp, powerful sword" work as a name. I don't care if it's common or not (that's not necessarily what I'm looking for), is the meaning conveyed correctly in Mandarin, and is there a better way to say this? I was hoping to use this as a name. Thanks for your help!

TianXiaTaiPing:

Could you please add the pinyin, if you know it?

• Wa Lao
    Favorite Answer

in chinese, the word 力 means energy, power (not in terms of powerful, just power, noun, not a adjective). to make it adjective, you probably need to add something to it, like what our friend suggested, 大力劒 (powerful sword). but frankly, as a name, this is funny, cos it shows how limited is the vocabulary of the person.

anyway, it still work as a name. but it does not carry the meaning of sharp. it does not describe the sword. it merely means power-sword. if i add a word 無 (don't have, no) infront, it'll become no-power sword. if i add a word 小 (small, low) infront, it'll become low-power sword.

a very common adjective for sword is 利. 利劒 (lì jiàn) means a sharp , thin-cut sword. but again, this is a common term. using it as a name isn't impressive too.

i suggest you use the name 厲劒 (lì jiàn). exactly same pronunciation. 厲 is an adjective, but it's not specifically use to describe sword or knife (in fact people won't relate it to sword). it carries the meaning of ferocious, powerful, strict, severe, sharp, enforce. therefore you can imagine how powerful is the sword which carries this name.

The syntax, grammar are exactly the same. I would compare the 2 to Italian and Spanish, very similar to each other. If a Mandarin speaker moves to live in a place where every one speaks Cantonese, the person would be able to understand the basic Cantonese in about 3-6 months, and can have a daily conversation in about a year if he studies the dialect.

This isn't what you asked、but just in case you didn't know:

力 li = powerful

利 li (pronounced exactly the same way) = sharp

劍 jian = sword

賤 jian (pronounced exactly the same way) = low、despicable; also a derogatory term used to describe women、similar to "b*tch" or "sl*t"----yes、that bad. 賤 is so offensive that when people must use the word、some will chop it up and say 貝戈戈 (bei ge ge) rather than say 賤 (jian).

Sorry I am reading this, and I can't even help you. I went to Mandarin school for 8 years, lol. I suck, lol. How about "mead hang" pronouced as it's read, it's Thai for powerful sharp sword.

大力剑(powerful sword), or 尖剑(sharp sword). 力劎 is more like power sword, which doesn't make much sense, in Chinese. 剑力 means power of the sword...

Source(s): Magic.

劎 would work as a name if you lived in ancient China. In modern Chinese, this is no longer used as a name. This is a name from some of the most famous martial arts novels in Chinese.

Source(s): I'm Chinese.