Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

Do you agree with this statement: "Politics and religion should not be discussed in a public setting....?

....because they are too controversial and can cause people to become nasty"? The "public forum" would be a party of friends, a business party, any get-together that involves people you know and perfect strangers. Do you think that saying applies?

Favorite Answer

In france at the turn of the century, people would spend hours in the coffee houses discussing politics and religion without beating the hell out of each other! In my opinion, there isn't anything wrong with discussing these things. It's called interesting, engaging conversation!

We've all just become way too pc, too worried about ruffling someone elses feathers.

It's ridiculous!

I think that a healthy exchange of opinions and ideas is a good thing, just don't shove your opinons down other peoples throats, and don't get all bent out of shape when people have opinions that differ from your own.

Cheers,

Christina

myspace.com/mikepattonisgod

It's probably not one of the healthiest things to do for most relationships, as most people are very touchy about their politics and beliefs, but it always fails to occur to me when I mention how much a certain example of bigotry or whatever irks me because I blithely assume that the people I know have an innate respect the rights and beliefs of others. Arguements won: over 9000, though, and it makes me smug... Doesn't help me keep friends, though.

Yes, since people have different opinions in politics and religion. A smart person would not make a person mad or pissed off because of different beliefs to be discussed in public forums..

Cause the topic of politics and religion both individually AND mixed can turned into a discussion so heated that the reactions, phrases, comments, and retorts can become IMPOLITE.

Ironically, the government is attempting to pass new legislation banning any religious gatherings in churches, and prohibiting politics from taking place in government buildings...

They are also encouraging the police to get unlisted phone numbers and enticing fire departments to quit making house calls...

Definetely.

In a public setting people should not start a debate, it will ruin everything.

I was raised to believe that. And, the older I get, the more I believe they were right.

completely agree, Hilary Clinton sucks @SS

At least not amongst friends if you want to keep them.

yes definitely..express ur opinions with ppl who know you.