Anyone know the meaning of this quote?

-First they put away the dealers, then they put away the prostitutes, then they shoot away the bums and beat & bash the queers.

They turned away the asylum seekers, fed us suspicions and fears, we didnt raise our voice, we didnt make a fuss; its funny, there was no one left to notice when they came for us.

Also, does anyone know which CD this quote came from?

I heard it on an episode of One Tree Hill where Peyton reads it off an album cover.

Thanks .XO

Favorite Answer

Just a side note. The original idea actually from a poem written after WWII called "First they came…" by Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984). It is about the inactivity of German intellectuals following the Nazi rise to power and the purging of their chosen targets, group after group. If you're interested in the original.

"In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;

And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;

And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;

And then . . . they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came...

• ?

Nofx Regaining Unconsciousness

Actually if i have to do a parallelism here, the drug dealers, the prostitutes, the bums, the beat and bash all represent the negative forces of the society..people who have somehow disturbed the society with different reasons, but the root of it all is the state that doesn not even care what is happening to them they take them to prisons, assylums, healing centers, hospitals, rehabilitation, but the outcome si the same, they were sheltered but still the governent does not thoroughly support, all for the eyes of the mas....everyone is just busy doing their own thing.....all the while...the world is made up of bothe the sick and the healer...........just like the song that goes...and continues to be palyed but...a song full of sentiments...

They are lyrics from the song Regaining Unconsciousness by the band NOFX.

Source(s): Under "Allusions" all the way down at the bottom: http://www.tv.com/one-tree-hill/dont-take-me-for-g...