5.1 vs 7.1 surround sound?

I have the typical 5.1 surround sound setup - in a 7.1 setup where do you place the 2 additional speakers??

Favorite Answer

I just did this in my HT.

When you go to 7.1, you now have both "surround" and "surround back" speakers. The correct placement according to the AVIA guide, is the surround are directly to the left and right of the main listening area, pointing straight in at it. It also recommends them to be at or above ear height. The surrounds in my 5.1 setup were slightly behind the main listening area, so I moved mine forward about 2 feet.

Then the new "surround back" channels should be behind the listening area, about the same width apart as the front left and right channel, and at the same height as the surrounds.

Now this whole layout should be tested and tweaked to suit your specific room as the acoustics will be affected by shape, size, furnishings, wall finish and your speaker types.

Good luck and happy listening. By the way, CD listening is simply awesome on the HT.

• GH

Well in a 7.1 setup you would have 2 side surround speakers and 2 rear surround speakers so there would be 2 directly to your sides and 2 behind you spaced 4-5 feet from each other or more depending how big the room is and how far away from them you are.

• rath

Usually your audio receiver or if it's a computer, your audio driver software, will have a test menu which shows a picture of a typical setup. You can run the test, and sounds will usually emit in a clockwise direction.

See the link for an image depicting a typical 7.1 setup

I have mine positioned between the front and rear speakers. I have enjoyed having the 7.1 verses the 5.1 I had before. Especially since I have upgraded to blu-ray.

a million.) sure you will hear the result, however the time-honored relies upon on how the action picture is formatted. working example, a action picture it is formatted in DTS(digital Theatre Sound) will sound impressive on a embody sound gadget: see rapid and furious for a significant occasion. a time-honored 5.a million embody sound format will sound super too, however the little issues won't stand out fairly as plenty. 2.) making use of an optical cable over an RCA cable is like listening to a CD instead of a cassette tape: The sound is plenty purifier and crisp. My feeling is why spend each and every of the money on a embody gadget and skimp on the cables? I no expert, yet i'm hoping this enables

The two additional speakers go in the rear, more precise to the sides of your listening position.

you can place them on your left center and right center side.

or lower floor level right front and left front