Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 decade ago

Is teaching yourself guitar worth it?

I was in Guitar City recently and saw them selling a Fender guitar acoustic guitar startup kit for $100, and was debating buying it and picking up some starting books and things of that nature to save myself some money by not having to take lessons. To those of you experienced with the guitar, do you think this is a good idea? Why or why not?

Favorite Answer

yea, it's definitely worth it.

i taught myself and wouldn't have it any other way.

i have been playing since i was twelve, it's a little tough at first, but once you learn the basics you start flying.

there are a lot of video aids on youtube and stuff, too.

it's great.

It's a fine idea. It will get you started on guitar, and let you know just how much talent you have. Some of the greats were self taught, and if you're not progressing as fast as you like, you can always take lessons.

I agree that lessons are a good idea, especially until you reach an intermediate level, but there are some crappy instructors out there so not all lessons are good lessons. The first couple teachers I had almost caused me to quit guitar altogether. If I had not quit taking lessons from these people I would have stopped playing guitar. So just be careful who you take lessons from.

• Clint

Its not as hard as people say. I learned how to play it by myself and now I've been playing for 5 years. The internet basically is what I learned from. I started off with power chords and played a bunch of punk songs and then I started learning more complex things. I learned the fundamentals from websites. Getting lessons makes you sound like every other guitarist.

I had a few lessons from friends & teachers. It's good "cause they'll point out a few tricks you may not have found. Then I taught myself. Too many lessons can take over your style, So have a friend or a teacher show you some chords & tricks then go on your own.

That really depends. If you have a musical talent, then it's definately worth it, and I think you'll be very successful at learning it on your own, but if you are like me... comepletely talentless that is, then you might want to take lessons. Learning to play guitar takes patience and persistence. Good luck whatever you choose to do.

In my opinion no, look around there are way too many musicians these days and in my opinion the music industry sucks. So if your young your going to want to play that screamo crap and want to get recognized but the people with true talent usually don't get recognized. Kinda funny the way that works out. If your really into it though and your really serious about learning guitar, go for it! I'm not going to hold you back!

Go for it, If there is a local Comunity College near sometimes they offer group guitar classes that are really cheap.

yeah what the heck i would play a guitar. They also say like if you play a instrument you usually do better in education or school.

its really hard to teach urself how to play but i love guitar its fun