Me asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Least Trainable Dog In The World, or Puppy Phase????

I love him to death, but he can be a real pain in the ***. He is 11 months old.. I am constantly walking him and playing catch with him (which i don't mind). But it just seems no matter how much exercise he gets, he still feels the need to be really jumpy and squirmy and jump on people. I took him to petsmart, he was so bad at the classes they kicked him out and suggested doggie boot camp. I sent him there (a nice 1300 bill) which i still didnt mind because I love him. He comes home and although he is listening better, I have to use his training collar or it's like talking to a wall. He also chews/rips up everything he can get his mouth on to shreds.. paper, pillows, anything and everything. God I'm at my wits end, someone please tell me he will grow out of this soon. I keep telling myself that, but I'm starting to think i'm a liar...

I have a set set of rules with him, he sleeps on the floor next to my bed in his own bed. He is on a set schedule - he wakes up whenever I do in the morning, i take him outside he does his business, i bring him in he eats breakfast and then his day of causing trouble begins. Someone is home with him all day so he's not by himself, so he is let out to do his business and run around alittle. Just about ever day he manages to tear something apart and dig a big hole (even if hes only outside for 20 minutes) I am home by 1 and take him for a long walk and play ball with him. He normally likes to finish the day jumping all over anyone,and terrorizing my cat. At around 7 he becomes very tired and puts himself to sleep... only to start the cycle again..

Favorite Answer

well...to give you any suggestions, i'd have to have a much better idea of how your daily interactions with him go (such as rules, boundries, food time, fun time, sleeping arrangements, etc)

***

sounds like a normal golden to me. many are very hyper until about 2 yrs old. they will usually jump on everyone b/c they love them and are just so excited to see them. and they eat anything that isnt nailed down (and sometimes the nailed down stuff too).

i think three things need to happen:

1.) install the nothing in life is free plan at home ... and that goes for everyone who interacts with him. if you dont kno what it is, google it, theres great articles on the web.

2.) you need to pick one training outline and stick with it. i know petsmart uses pos. reinforcement techniques, but your new place uses a training collar. decide on the behaviors you want from him, and how he should get to those levels, and start working. interupt,redirect,or correct the behaviors you dont like - reinforce the bahviors you do like with treats, toys, games, walks, and praise.

3.) he needs to be crated when he cant be watched, otherwise he cant be blamed for "getting into trouble". if he's not under someones watch, he needs to be confined so he doesnt have a chance to reward himself with behaviors he finds fun and exciting.

**** one more edit. its one thing to talk to your dog in "dog" language (calming signals, hard stares, big body gestures, vocal corrections, etc)...but it is NEVER safe to wrestle a dog to the ground.

yes, mother dogs will knock over their pups , but usually as a last resort correction. once dogs become older, there is never a case of a dog "rolling" the other dog onto the ground or its back (that only happens in play time)as a correction...the dog has to offer the position willingly to tell the other dog that he means no harm. the easiest way to put urself in a dangerous position is to physically wrestle a dog onto the ground in an angry or assertive manner...you're only looking to get bitten , attacked, or feared.

Source(s): trainer, owner, volunteer

I have a really, really obedient dog and I attribute it to a book I read called "How to be Your Dog's Best Friend." It's written by monks in NY. It basically tells you to train your dog as if you're the mother wolf and he's your puppy. So for example, if your dog is being jumpy, you wrestle him to the ground and hold him there using your "mean voice" (kind of like you're growling). It teaches you to be physical with your dog- NOT ABUSIVE- but physical, because your dog understands it. He isn't going to understand words, and clearly isn't responsive to the positive reinforcement plan. I also highly recommend crating your dog when you're not there. Again, the book explains that the crate is similar to a den and it makes them feel secure. So he won't act out when you're not home which he does because you're the "pack leader" and he don't know what to do without you, so he acts out destructively. Seriously though, you should just get the book, it's amazing. My dog (and I) benefited from it's logic greatly.

• DP

He obviously doesn't respect you .. Or he would listen to you. If he has been trained, then he should know what you are talking about.

Crate him when you can't watch him. Quit feeding him such a high protein food..

Dogs do NOT grow out of most things. They must be taught right from wrong.. Be more worthy of respect and make him listen to you.

Contact the Dog Whisperer.He is the expert for all dogs.Look him up online.