Why do the lights get dim when I turn on the vacuum or hair dryer?

I live in a 1999 mobile home. When I turn on the vacuum or hair dryer the lights get dimmer. Why does this happen, and is it a hazard?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    All of the other answers are true, but you might have a connection problem in one or more of the plugs on that circuit. Try using a kitchen or washing machine plug. These are seperate circuits than your lighting. If the problem still exists you have a connection problem at your panel or meter disconnect. call an electrician

    Source(s): electrical contractor
  • 1 decade ago

    Mostly good advice given above. I'm an electrician. Do not though, follow the advice of putting a larger breaker on the circuit. The size of the wiring in the circuit will already have the highest available breaker on it that meets the safety standards of the National Electric Code. My advice, like the other contractor. Play it safe. Call an electrician.

  • 1 decade ago

    Vacuums and hair dryers pull a lot of watts. They would decrease the amount of power available to other appliances. Its not a problem unless it trips a breaker regularly. It could overheat the breakers. Tripping the breakers is a sign you need a bigger breaker..... Try not to have all of those appliances working at the same time. It could be a fire hazzard, especially if you have aluminum wiring... which many mobile homes have.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    you probably have a lot of things that are being supplied through the same circuit breaker. circuit breakers are only designed to handle a certain amount of electrical load. it seems you are on the high end of that design. it can be dangerous if there is faulty wiring. also, if you are overloading a circuit breaker, it draws more heat, thus posing a potential fire hazard. you should look into possibly getting another circuit breaker installed to help with the electric loads or check to see if you can run some loads on another circuit breaker that isn't being used as much.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pat R
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

    Get an electrician to look things over. I've seen circuit breakers turn into piles of ash just because the wires connected to them were loose. Far too often builders and manufactures of homes follow building codes only barely. When building my house I often used larger gauge wire as well as a anti-oxidizer. I have to wonder if an electrician would recommend turning off all the power and retightening all connections? Hey!, that could be a new career!

  • 1 decade ago

    This is quite common when you turn on a device that uses a lot of current, such as a vacuum cleaner (motor) or heating device such as a space heater or hair dryer. The sudden extra load draws the voltage down a little; it really shows up with incandescant lights.

  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

    Its simply by fact your lighting fixtures and wall shops makes use of a similar source to skill each and every thing on your room. while the hair dryer is on, the lighting fixtures dim, simply by fact the hair dryer used extra electrical energy to run the motor and heating element.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    those appliances both draw a lot of amps on start up. it's probably not an issue. a breaker will flip before too much heat builds in the circuit. if you start flipping breakers, you may want to unplug some stuff, just for convenience.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.