Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

What would be an appropriate gift for an ex-boyfriend and his wife who just welcomed their first baby?

I haven't seen or really spoken to my ex in about four years (we ended things pretty amicably), and I just got an email sent from his new wife's email address containing photos of their new baby (a boy). I would like to send a gift either just for the new mother (who I have never met) or for both parents, but I want it to be personal yet appropriate given the fact that I'm the ex-girlfriend. Any ideas?

Favorite Answer

Personalized signs for a child's room are thoughful. They are something a child won't outgrow or break. They have nice ones here: http://www.mysweetandsour.com/ The artist is a mom with two girls.

I disagree with the answerer who suggested not sending anything. If the new wife still feels threatened by you for some reason, sending her a thoughtful gift will show her that you are truly glad for all of them and don't harbor feelings for her husband. If you don't send something, she may assume that you feel bitter about the whole thing.

Anyway, gift ideas: How about a gift certificate to get a family portrait made? Not only will the new mother love getting photos of her new family together, it will send the message that the idea of them as a family makes you happy.

Normally where I live, people give a gift to the baby, not to the parents. If you haven't seen or talked to him in four years, it sounds to me like just a plea for a gift. You don't need to play into this game of her bragging about the fact that she has him and you don't..

You could just send a nice card congratulating them, or a small gift for the baby if you wish. But you should not get involved in their lives. JMO

Send the parents a congratulation card and send a gift for the baby.

Why would she send pics of their baby? Maybe she feels threatened by you because hes told her how much he loved you. Shes trying to make herself feel better by sending you the pics. It isn't where hes at, its where he wants to be. If anyone was to share the news it should have been him, not her. She doesn't even know you. Don't give them anything. He probably put her up to sending you the photos. Who knows.

PS. I wonder why it wasn't sent from his email address...

Who cares what they think of you. Thats their problem.

Hey wow I have the same problem, except it is obviously my ex-girlfriend who has the baby!

Looking forward to some thoughtful answers :P

The appropriate gift is to leave them alone. Don't be a part of their world.

Clothes for the baby.

A gift card for Mom & Dad to go out together when they get to feeling better. It's something they'll use (New mothers NEVER have time to cook) and it lets them know you aren't trying to drive a wedge between them- you're paying for THEM to go out on a date!

New parents always need warm bub clothes and nappies, either show you care, without showing that you care!