Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 1 decade ago

what do you think would be the effects if the health industry was solely not-for-profit?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

pie in the sky

more seriously, your question has no logic to it. To make the present for profits into not-for-profits, someone would have to BUY them. That someone would be you through your taxes.

And then they'd not be not-for-profits, but rather arms of the government and the end result would be like Britain and Canada -- little or no modern equipment, shortage of doctors, no new drugs, and consequent deaths of people who private enterprise is capable of saving.

Source(s): ugh -- government is a terrible decision maker -- except when no other decision maker can be allowed [as in war and peace].
  • 1 decade ago

I think the previous answers just about cover it. Without the incentive to earn a profit very few companies would bother with medical facilities. There would be a few hospitals and clinics run by charities and the rest would disappear or be poorly run.

• 1 decade ago

I have a Question for you all. Before this profit system was set up in the 70's under Nixon did we have the worst medical system in the world?

• 1 decade ago

We'd have far fewer students enrolling in our medical schools.

Our pharmaceutical companies would stop research and development on new drugs.

On the brighter side, costs would go down.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • CALAVA
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I believe in universal health care. I'm providing you two links to two questions I asked Canadians and Brits regarding their health care system.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AnfMi...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=ArbZ4...

Both countries generally consider their health care "national treasures". It's unChristian and unconscionable not to provide health care for all. It's a basic human right.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Fewer docs, hospitals, poorer service, much less life-saving technology and medicines, longer waits, more deaths, more painful deaths, and much higher taxes (less money for you) to support an inefficient government system.

• 1 decade ago

Ask yourself how hard you would work if just your expenses would be covered and you would get no extra money.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

another DMV.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.