How do I plug a Shure sm57 mic into my comp?

Do I need something to do it with? or does it have a cord that just goes in my comp?

3 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Well, assuming that you have a consumer-grade sound-card, you'll need an adapter to change the XLR mic cable down to an 1/8" jack -- which will go into the sound card input in the back of your computer. But your results will probably suck, because what you need between the sound card and the microphone is a device called a microphone pre-amp.

    Now, if you look around you can buy a fairly decent (or even good) external sound card that not only has good-sounding mic-preamps but also 1/4" "phone" inputs for devices like synthesizers and guitars. An American company named E-MU makes a great one for several hundred dollars. (but then again, a decent stand-alone mic-preamp will cost that much anyway, so you might as well get the more versatile E-MU unit.) The E-MU unit also comes bundled with an excellent recording program -- which is something else that you'll need in order to make a professional-sounding recording.

    Wow! This could turn into a whole dissertation. So, first get the adapter and realize how crappy it sounds (the adapter has other good uses, so no real money lost yet...) and then you'll be convinced that you need to make the investment which I recommended.

    Good luck. (BTW, a Shure SM-57 is a decent mic -- especially for the price, so don't blame it when you get sucky results.)

    Source(s): I'm a recording engineer.
  • 5 years ago

    Henre is correct, the 58 is a much better vocal mic. I'm not sure about just using an XLR to 1/4" cable, that might work. I'd use a direct box to switch the mic from high impedance to low for the amp.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    You will need an adapter from XLR to 1/4 inch. The mike will be male (pins), so you need a female XLR and a male 1/4 inch jack to go into your mic input.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.