Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsBirds · 1 decade ago

How can we know the sex of birds having identical looks?

How can we know the sex of birds having identical looks

7 Answers

Relevance
  • BRIDGE
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Your vet can do DNA test and tell you.

• 1 decade ago

If they are not sexually dimorphic, the only way to tell (besides seeing the bird lay eggs) is to have them surgically sexed or DNA tested. Surgical sexing is just how it sounds, a vet surgicaly looks at the bird to determine gender. A much simpler way is a simple DNA test. This can be done with blood or feather testing (some places can do egg shell testing). Blood dna testing usually involves clipping a nail short to get a few drops of blood on a test card. It sometimes is done by obtaining a small vial of blood (usually bigger birds). Feather testing involves plucking a few chest feathers (have to be freshly plucked- naturally shed feathers no longer have DNA). It's then sent into a testing company and you get the results in a few days. You can do DNA testing yourself or have a vet do it. There are multiple places online you can go to for test kits.

Source(s): Own and breed birds, do my own DNA testing.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think in some types of birds the only way you can tell is by some sort of DNA test or something done on a feather (I think?). Or I think they can be scoped to look for an ovary. What kind of birds do you have - there are some types where you can tell (like cockateils and budgies).

• 1 decade ago

There are only a few birds you can tell by just looking at them, most birds you can`t unless you go to a vet or have dna taken through a blood feather tested, don`t pull one unless you know what your doing they can bleed to death.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Depends on the type of bird. Parakeets, for instance, have different colored rings around their beaks. Males have blue skin at the base of their beak,and in females it is pink. Otherwise, you will have to take them to a vet to have them sexed.

• 1 decade ago

you have to either get them sugicaly sexed or dna tested, either way im sure your vet can point you in the right direction!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The only way is by dna sexing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.