Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsSwimming & Diving · 1 decade ago

What is the maximum amount of practice time per week Illinois high school sports teams may have?

I was just wondering if there are any IHSA regulations concerning lengths of athletic team practices.

Favorite Answer

I know your question is about Illinois. I coach high school swimming in California and I started my competitive swimming career in Illinois.

When I swam, we worked out about 4 hours a day (1.5 in the morning and 2.5 in the afternoon).

I spend about the same amount of time on the deck coaching here in California and there are no rules regarding the regular day. There are, however, limitations regarding Sundays and the first and last days of practice.

The main limitation I, as a coach, face is making certain my swimmers have enough "book time" to maintain good grades.

My swimmers are pleased I'm not allowed to require Sunday practices as they practice 6 days a week.