Can someone be and is there someone licensed to practice law in all 50 states?

• Rick K
    Favorite Answer

I doubt if there is anyone, but they would have to pass the bar exam in all 50 states, I believe. And with every state's laws different from those of every other state, it could take 50 years to pass 50 bar exams!

• lammy

Lawyer Licensed In All 50 States

Possible, but unlikely. To be licensed in all 50 states, an attorney would have to graduate from an accredited law school, either take 50 bar exams or receive a license through reciprocity in some states and take the bar in others, pay bar dues in 50 states, maintain CLE credits (continuing legal education) for all 50 states' requirements, etc.

I don't know why anyone would want to do it other than just for the sake of novelty.

If an attorney licensed in one state wants to handle a case in another jurisdiction, she can also apply for admission in the new state "pro hoc vice," which would count for this case only. That way you don't have to take the bar--but you would usually have to have local counsel obtained to make sure you are following local rules.

No there is no license, but being admitted in one state is usually enough to get you to be able to practice anywhere else by being admitted pro hac vice, which will mean that you have to work with a barred attorney from that state, and get special permission from that Court. Also if a case originates in one state you're licensed to practice in, but for various reasons is moved out of state, or requires you to do some work out of state then you'll be permitted to do that work.

Possible, but I doubt it. I think they would have to pass all 50 bar exams.