how to make a C/C++ program pause?

ok so I'm trying to learn C and C++, and whenever I execute the program it runs in the blink of an eye and I don't have time to see what it says, I remember there being a pause command or something that I could put in there somewhere that would wait for me to press enter, can you tell me where to put it and exactly what it's called? thank you

Update:

#include <stdio.h>

int main()

{

printf("This is a line of text to output.\n");

printf("And this is another ");

printf("line of text.\n\n");

printf("This is a third line.\n");

return 0;

}

(thats an example of the code that the program has (its a very basic program) and please repost that with the added function or whatever it's called in C/C++

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

get in the habit of using getch() because it will work on all platforms (windows, unix, linux).

system("pause"); is Microsoft only.

• 6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

how to make a C/C++ program pause?

ok so I&#39;m trying to learn C and C++, and whenever I execute the program it runs in the blink of an eye and I don&#39;t have time to see what it says, I remember there being a pause command or something that I could put in there somewhere that would wait for me to press enter, can you tell me...

Source(s): program pause: https://biturl.im/gprui
  • 4 years ago

C Pause

• 1 decade ago

There are a variety of ways -- basically you just need something that will cause the process to block.

One of these will work:

-Try reading in some input

-Use the sleep() command

-Use getch()

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

if the operating system is windows you can use

system("pause");

this function was declared in system.h I gues you should include the file. and for any operating system you can use scanf.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Just hit F5 or just click The green play button on the top.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Just add a getch(); before the last } of main. You will be fine.

• 4 years ago

very good question

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.