Beckers128 asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Where can I go to find out about Hybrid dogs or get pictures of ?

My mom just got a Maltese x Papillon mix and I wanted to know if there was a group for this mixed breeds. I would say they were mutts but I think others would disagree. Also this puppy is said to have come from pure breed parents , what becomes for apure breed female Maltese that has puppies of a different breed father?

Favorite Answer

Here is a page that has a list of "hybrid dogs" with pictures.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/hybriddogs.htm

There is an old wives tale that says: if a purebred female dog mates with a purebred male of a different breed or a mutt, she'll never have purebred puppies in her future litters even if she mates with a purebred of her own breed.

Thats not true if thats what your asking about.

There are a lot of these dogs in shelters, I hope your mom got one from there.

They are indeed mutts -- they are mixed breeds not 'hybrids' -- you can likely use the term but it is normally meant to describe the mix of species not breeds of domestic canines. Coming from purebred parents means nothing because they are not the same breed so the pups are a mix and since no responsible breeder would breed good quality dogs as mutts, they are more than likely poor quality purebred dogs to begin with so more poor quality mutts being made out of ignorance and greed. Nothing 'becomes' of a purebred female Maltese that is bred to a different breed -- she is still a purebred Maltese but likely, as I mentioned, a poor quality one owned by someone too lacking in knowledge or concern for their breed to not make mutts using her uterus. She is likely used again to make mutts to sell to people lacking in intelligence enough to see that they are paying for mutts that fill body piles and shelters by the millions in this world every year...

If a purebred Maltese has puppies from a father of a different breed you get a mutt. Plain and simple. I hope your mom didn't pay much for this dog. The cute "Shih-poo-doodle-huahua-pugg" names given to mutts are for the backyard breeders and puppy millers looking to make a quick buck off of a dog that can be just as easily found in a shelter.

A hybrid is nother name for a mutt!!!! these are not recocnized in groups unless it is something like a golden Doodle oe labradoodle. Things like that. A maltese papillon is just a plain mixed dog. But hey, those are the best! ENJOY

Your mom has a mutt. Unless the dog is offspring of two of the same pedigree breed, it is a mutt, no matter how fancy they name the mixture. AND there is nothing wrong with having a mutt!

www.dogbreedinfo.com

I looked at the breed list and I found the Papitese(Papillon/Maltese). Here's the link directly to it: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/p/papitese.htm

They are really cute!

i agree...it is a mutt. people and their "designer dogs" drive me nuts!

hey...what would you call a cross between a poodle and a min pin? ...i would call it a poopin!! tehehe

sorry!

go to ask.com and type-"the history of hybrid dog" or"crossbreeding dogs".