Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingGrade-Schooler · 1 decade ago

If kids can't do it, then teachers shouldn't either.?

I think understand why some teachers don't like kids chewing gum in school, but the teachers who make those rules, are usually the ones who always chew it. I think it's so hypocritical. When I asked my history teacher why we can't have gum, she said "because we can't trust everyone. some ppl say they wont stick their gum under a desk, but they do. So this is just a trust kind of thing." Then i asked her why she chews gum and we may not trust her, she said "well im an adult. You should trust adults." HOW DUMB!

Favorite Answer

If teachers weren't so strict about the no gum rule, it would reduce the amount of gum under the desk. Because kids would not have to be sneaky about getting rid of their gum, so they would actually get up and put it in the trash.

Whether someone is going to stick a wad of gum under the desk is irrelevant. Chewing gum in class is rude and annoying. For both students and teachers. Teacher is setting a bad example and is being a hypocrite.

Her reasoning, that you should trust adults, is dumb. Her "double standard," however, is not. She's at work and is entitled to chew gum if she feels the need to. You're at school and under the rules set by the school and its staff. It sucks that you can't chew gum because of the way previous students have handled the privilege, but that's just a part of life. If she makes an exception for you, she'll have to make it for everyone. She knows she's not going to put her gum under a desk. She doesn't know that about all of her students.

My teachers are the same way. There are two teachers in the school who chew gum. One, when she sees a kid chewing gum, she yells at them. The other just dosent care. But, report the activity of the rudeness, and the meaness of chewing gum in front of the class, its rude!

• Shawn

I'm not a teacher, but I am trying to get a Masters Degree in Teaching. I wouldn't chew gum in my classroom. I don't really like gum. If I am going to chew something, I prefer to swallow it.

But I also wouldn't drink soda, or eat chips, or anything like that, if the students are not allowed to do it. It is not fair for me to do it in front of them.

That was a dumb, cop-out answer to give, but rules are rules. So no gum for you!

At honestly, if she's a coffee drinker, the gum may be more of a favor to you than you know! PU!

Most teachers aren't stupid enough to actually say stuff like that. I'm sorry you're stuck in that class.

Teachers shouldn't be chewing gum in class anyway. They talk for a living, and seeing a person talk and chew like that all day is disgusting.

we have to set a good example for our kids and if she doesnt want her students chewing gum in her class then she should not chew gum in the class either that is the way it needs to be it is wrong it is like tauntin them like see im chewing gum and u cant that is wrong and she be corrected about it

Wow, I've never seen a teacher chew gum. What happened to setting an example for the kids? I absolutely agree with you.

Im a teacher and I agree. I think chewing gum whilst teaching is not being a good role model. Its not proffessional either. Perhaps you should mention that. You shouldnt trust all adults either.