Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 1 decade ago

first one best answer please help?

help i have a laptop its working slow this guy told me you have to go to start and go to something with a f and earase what websites you go on help what is this can you give me instructions?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

That guy sounds full of crap. You probably need more memory for your laptop. Consult your manufacturer about this. Or you could have a virus/spyware. Get some sort of anti-virus software like Symantec.

I'm guessing what that guy is telling you to do is to clear your cache and websites that the computer has downloaded to access quicker. This probably won't help your computer run much faster.

• Zack F
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

The guy was not "full of crap" .... he actually knew what he was talking about and hes what he probably meant:

If you haven't cleaned your registry in a while, you should. Do a registry scan if you get alot of errors, it needs to be cleaned you should clean it.

http://www.delete-computer-history.com/w...

2. Clear the cache files which store internet information on your computer,

1. Exit the internet.

2. Click Start, click "Control Panel", and then double-click "Internet Options".

3. On the General tab, click "Delete Files" under Temporary Internet Files.

4. In the Delete Files dialog box, click to select the "Delete all offline content" check box , and then click OK.

5. Click OK.

3. Too many things running in the background can slow your computer down. Eliminate unused programs in the background. Here is how:

1. Open your Start menu.

2. Click Run

3. In the command screen type "msconfig.exe"

4. In the "system configuration utility",click either "service" or "startup" tab

5. Uncheck all programs that you dont use.

6. Click "OK"

4. Purchase more memory if you have room on your mother board to install it. Make sure the memory type is compatable with your motherboard. Also, if you computer is many years old, you may want to think about a whole new system. A computer's part can become aged and naturally slower but a new computer can sometimes be expensive.

• 1 decade ago

To do what "this guy" told you about...

In Internet Explorer, Click on 'Tools', 'Delete', 'Delete Files'.

However, I would find somebody you really believe knows about computers and ask them to show you how to...

Run "Disk Cleanup"

Run "Disk Defragmenter"

Buy and Use a good Registry Cleaner (Like Registry Mechanic or Registry Fix)

Doing that will make a HUGE difference.

Good Luck!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yeah, go to home and click on the little icon that looks like a clock with a backwards arrow - that is your "history" - that is all the websites you have looked at. if you delete the history list - your laptop will work faster because it doesn't have to look at all them everytime you look up a new site too!!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

if its windows and you use internet explorer go to the menu and find the option under something like file or edit, etc. there should be something that asks you to erase internet history, cookies, etc.

• 1 decade ago

not sure what website hes talking about but ram can increase your cmputers spead

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.