• Pets >
  • Cats
  • Pets >
  • Cats

If a cat gets sprayed by a skunk and then tries to clean himself, can the cat get sick?

• Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
My cat got sprayed a few days ago by a skunk and we've tried everything. When the tomatoe juice bath didn't work, the lady at PetCo suggested to give him a bath in ...show more
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
  • N L answered 7 years ago
I'd imagine it would! That stuff smells horrible! Several years ago a vet gave me a recipe for getting rid of the smell. Here it is - it's called "De-Skunk Cocktail".

1 quart hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda OR lemon juice
1 teaspoon dish soap (Dawn)
1 gallon white vinegar

Mix all together, and soak the animal thoroughly with it. The longer it sits on the animal, the better.

Good luck!

Asker's rating & comment

4 out of 5
thank you. : )
  • 0
    0
  • Comment
My cat got sprayed a few days ago by a skunk and we've tried everything. When the tomatoe juice bath didn't work, the lady at PetCo suggested to give him a bath in vinegar/water douche. That worked a little better. He still smells a little funky, but we are more worried that he's sick now from trying to clean himself. So, what I'm trying to figure out is: can the skunk spray make a cat sick?
Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock