Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 1 decade ago

Okay, friends; all who were alive and kickin' during the movies "Golden Era"?

( and I don't mean just 10 years ago) who are your favorite old time stars, male and female? Do you ever watch Turner Classic Movies, and do you think any of the young actors these days shine as brightly as the stars of yesteryear?

Favorite Answer

My favs were:

Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy

Bette Davis

Joan Crawford

Robert Mitchum

Cary Grant

Peter Lawford

Edward G. Robinson

George C. Scott

Henry Fonda

Ingrid Bergman

Jeanne Peters

Mary Pickford

Patricia Neal

Tallulah Bankhead

Jane Wyman

Dick Powell

Kathryn Grayson

Tyrone Power

Humphrey Bogart

Lauren Bacall

Vivian Leigh

Sir Laurence Olivier

Jimmy Stewart

Susan Hayward

James Cagney

Hedy Lamarr

Montgomery Cliff

Gene Kelly

Leslie Caron

Lena Horne

Rita Hayworth

Cary Grant

Deborah Kerr

Basil Rathbone

The entire Barrymore Family

Alan Ladd

Oh, gosh there were so many!

And No, only a few today shine as brightly...one reason I think has to do with over media-exposure...in days gone by, we knew so little about the stars personally. The studios made sure the images were what they wanted us to see...So we knew only what they wanted us to know. The STARS acted as such...glamourous and NEVER, but never shown as 'less than' or everyday folk..so we lived in that fantasy. The women were elegant and the men debonair. For an 'escape' it was the best of times. Not to mention those actors had phenomenal talent and did not reach their pinnacles based on media hype but more so for the roles they played and their acumen .

We knew not who was gay; who were domestic abusers; who were drug users; who were not kind;...they were all shown as above our every day lives. Is not that movies should be?

The realism of today can often be mesmerizing...alas, it also places those actors on level with each of us and takes away the awe and glamour.

I go to the movies to be entertained and for a couple of hours to be transported to a world not my own..

I miss the old movies...particularly the musicals

I didn't arrive until after the "Golden Era", but I love to watch movies on Turner Classic Movies and on American Movie Classics (AMC).

It would take too much space to list all my favorite performers, but I think Sage Seeker makes and excellent start with her lists!

Here is a partial list of contemporary actors who I think shine as performers:

Robert DeNiro

Denzel Washington

Harrison Ford

Matt Damon

John Travolta

Hugh Jackman

Ian McKellen

John Rhy Davies

Dustin Hoffman

Tom Hanks

Jodie Foster

Sandra Bullock

Halle Berry

Uma Thurman

Cate Blanchett

Kate Winslet

Emma Thompson

Meg Ryan

Carrie Fisher

Shirley MacLaine

I wasn't around for the 30s and 40s, I was born in 44. I grew up watching all the movies from that era. We got our first TV when I was four and back then programing was limited so they put a lot of movies on to fill air time. I think I saw them all. Clark Gable was my favorite actor til long after I was grown. I loved James Stewart, Cary Grant, Brian Dunlevy, John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, Carol Lombard, Claudette Collbert, Betty Davis, Katherine Hepburn, Rosalind Russell, and so many, many others. It would take me all night and part of tomorrow morning to name them all. Obviously I love movies! I do watch TCM and AMC. There are some really fine actors today, but they certainly don't have the glamor of yesterdays actors. They were STARS.

• Donna

MY husband watches TCM all the time but I 'm too tired to do that. I loved Henry Fonda in The Grapes of Wrath. I enjoyed the musicals too with Howard Keel and Kathryn Grayson. Showboat was a favourite.

There are a lot of good actors today. Johnny Depp and Matt Damon. Charlize Theron and Jody Foster come to mind.

• Kris L

My favorites are Spencer Tracy, Katharine Hepburn, and Humphrey Bogart. I want to get all of the Hepburn/Tracy movies and also The African Queen on DVD so I can watch them when I want to. Yes, some stars do shine as brightly ... Johnny Depp, Matthew Broderick, and Dakota Fanning (who is still a child, but she can 'act' with the best of them) ... and possibly Nicolas Cage and Jeff Goldblum, although they are a bit older ...

• Lynn

Wow, that one list is pretty impressive. I couldn't think of that

many if I tried. Cudos' to you for a good memory.

Well one of my favorites who isn't even mentioned by the

others, was the suave and handsome, Errol Flynn. My did he

have a way with the ladies. Off screen and on. And what

woman didn't have the desire to be his date back when he

was in his prime? Olivia de Haviland, could have made an

honest man out of him, but he was just too much of a boy

around her in real life, she's said. He teased her and played

the role of an enamoured school boy. That's hard to believe after seeing him on the screen so many times. Joan Fontaine, who was her sister, never dated him as I understand. Her movie career wasn't as much in the fore front as Olivias'. Tho she did a great job as the heroine, in many a movie.

It's a shame that Errols' life was cut short so young. He looked like an old man, due to his love for the bottle and

some say, drugs as well. Too many of his movies were in

black and white, and I longed for more to be in color. But those were the times for dramatic art. And the swooning of young girls in the audiences, with their bobby sox and hair ribbons. Yes, Errol cut quite a figure in those days of the silver screen. And Olivia was always an angel.

• Moe

I enjoyed seeing the old Busby Berkeley movies with the extravagant costumes, dance numbers, kind of vaudeville look.

I also like the Ester Williams movies, with her diving into a pool, looked like a water ballet, or synconized swimming.

And of course the old Fred Astair, Ginger Rogers movies, boy could those two dance, what a pair of hoofers. I could watch those two all day. As well as Gene Kelly.

TCM is always fun, although the audio could use better remastering. I noticed that the women tend to have such high voices in many of those movies, which I'm guessing is simply due to less genetic diversity than in today's America.

I wasn't alive then, but I enjoy the movies.

I watch TCM quite often. I love a lot of the old movies...most were made before I was born. Gregory Peck, Audrey Hepburn, Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, Spencer Tracey, Clark Gable, Humphrey Bogart, too many more to name...but those were the days.

I like watching Gene Tierney movies and Joan Crawford. For males I loved Robert Mitchum and Cary Grant.