goggie asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 decade ago

having a complete hysterectomy?

I'm having a complete hysterectomy done next week, I'm kind of scared, I want to know if this is dangerous, what should I expect, can I have local enestation or does it have to be with general enestetia please if any one has any advise for me I will apriciate it thank you

Thank you all for answering back,my hysterectomy is being done because I have 3 tumors the size of coconuts and my uterest is inlagred, I'm 42 years old and the pain that I have is unexplainable and I am always taking pain medication and I still have pain so the doctor said that the best thing to do is this and I also think that is the best for me. I always have a period it never go, thats why I am enimic and again thank you all

Favorite Answer

I had one when I was 25 in 1994. Mine was abdominal and required at that time general anesthesia. These days I don't know. If you are having a vaginal hysterectomy they may be able to do it with a spinal block. Hospital stay when I had mine done was 2 days. Now they may be able to do it on an out patient basis. Complications happen in few cases. It is not dangerous but you better be sure this is what is in your best interest. If you are young like child bearing age my advise is to exhaust all other options first. You never know what the future holds. If this surgery is medically necessary then have it. Vaginal hysterectomies, I hear, are not bad. Mostly whoha discomfort and maybe some abdominal discomfort. Recovery time is short. Abdominal hysterectomies have a longer recovery time and all the other discomforts that abdominal surgeries bring. I still have my ovaries and have not had to take a hormone. My biggest piece of advise is to make a list of your questions and ask your doctor each and every one of them. Make sure you get answers that fully satisfy you and that you and your doctor are on the same page. Take care and good luck.

First of all make sure that there is no other option. I had this done at the age of 31. My husband and I have three kids and I didn't think at the time we would ever want any more, when the time came they gave me two options one was to have hysterectomy then or let them remove the tumor in my uterus and me get pregnant soon after because it would come back in about 2 years, this option may not be a solution for you depending on why you need this. I can say it was the best thing that happen to me but I was bleeding for months with no stopping after being on my period for 4 straight months anything sounded good that would stop it. I now wish I could give my husband another child but at least I'm here for the three we have. Also it changed our sex life also. My uterus was in bad shape and sex hurt now it doesnt. Good Luck.

I can't imagine you'd be anything else other than under general anesthesia (you're going to be asleep). You need to understand that any surgery has it's risks, but if you're being operated on by a qualified surgeon, the risk is pretty low. While the recovery period can be painful (everybody tolerates pain differently), you should be given appropriate pain medication to control it. I've had several patients who have had this operated and gone on to live completely normal lives. Wish you the best.

Source(s): RN

Before you go through with it I would really read this ebook first. You can down load it in minutes so you don't have to wait for to long. I got that ebook myself and its really great. Don't talk to people they don't know a thing about it. It would make you even more unsure. This book is written in a very good style and the lady knows what she is talking about.

Here is the link: the link seems funny but thats the only one I have.

good luck!

Yes. A radical hysterectomy includes the ovaries, but if she had ovarian cancer before they were removed, she can still have a recurrence of that cancer in the pelvis, and it would still technically be ovarian cancer. Also, she may have had a modified radical hysterectomy that did not include the ovaries; either way, it is possible.

My mom got one of those a while ago.

its not as much dangerous as painful. (soreness)

just make sure you will be able to get a few weeks

of just lying around.

my mom also found it difficult to stretch, but im sure you can find a way to work that out :)

dont worry, you'll be alright. Do what the doctors say will be best.

I definitely think you need to have another sit-down with your doctor. These are questions you should definitely feel more comfortable with prioi to scheduling your surgery. Either he/she did not inform you well, or you were too nervous to comprehend. Give them a call, I am sure the nurse will go over it with you.