cap3382 asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

Is it better to indulge the senses or repress them?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Always think in terms of ...are you hurting someone or yourself

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It can never be better to repress them. It is better to use all of your senses to the fullest while you can. Even indulging them. As long as you remain a good person and hurt no one.

• 1 decade ago

It's hard to say. both would cause a drastic change in you as a human being. quite what those changes would be is hard to say. one might believe that if you repress the senses then you would be calm and collective. If you indulge then you might be greedy and too passionate. there's a better word, but my computer keeps telling me i spelt it wrong. it's a matter of opinion.

• j153e
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Understanding that sensibility may and indeed ought be spiritualized is key.

"Climb the Highest Mountain," Mark Prophet,

"Mary Baker Eddy: Christian Healer," Yvonne von Fettweis,

"Watch Your Dreams," Ann Ree Colton,

"The Reincarnation of Edgar Cayce?", Free and Wilcock,

"Man, Master of His Destiny," O. M. Aivanhov,

"The Great Divorce," C. S. Lewis.

best regards,

j.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn. then again it was Descartes who said the senses simply deceive. personally i think the senses are like tools, and go ahead, indulge them

• WikiJo
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Neither.

Understanding them before we make such reactionary and extreme decisions seems the most intelligent choice to me.

Experience each one without adding anything - you may learn a great deal about what it is to be a human, and come out much the stronger for it.

Peace,

;-)

Source(s): years of vipassana practice
  • LodiTX
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

As long as one harms nothing there is nothing wrong in indulgences that bring one pleasure.

• 1 decade ago

everything in moderation, unless it is harmful

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.