My girlfriend started riding about a year ago and she is 5'-7" and 110. She bought a used Yamaha Virago 250. VERY low seat height and easy for her to learn on. Now that her confidence is higher, she is ready to sell it and move up to a bigger bike. This is a good strategy, as some others have recommended. Here are some tips:
- Buy a used 250 Honda or Yamaha knowing that you will sell it once you get comfortable with riding. By buying a used bike, you won't take a huge beating when it comes time to sell it.
- Some have suggested a scooter. That is OK, but it does not prepare you for shifting, which you will need to do once you move up to a larger bike.
- Shop around before buying a BMW 800. They are excellent motorcycles, but they are pretty tall bikes for someone 5'-5". They are also pricey and BMW's maintenance costs can be pretty high too. Nevertheless, if you have your heart set on one, get it. They can adjust the seat and suspension so you can ride comfortably.
- TAKE AN MSF RIDER COURSE in your area. It is a 2 day course and it will be the best money and time you ever spent. My girlfriend did this and it was great. We both take a 1-day experienced rider course EVERY YEAR as a refresher, and I have been riding for 35 years!
- Always, always, always wear an approved helmet and protective gear. You want to keep that 5'5" body in tip-top shape!
Good luck and RIDE SAFE!