couldn't breathe in dream.. or when i woke up!?

This has happend a couple of times recently and it really scares me, does anyone else get this... like last night, i was dreaming about somthing and in the dream i was gasping desperatly for air and i just couldn't breathe.. then i woke up and i was still gasping til i calmed down and took deep breaths again.

It scares the life out of me because im really scared i might not be able to breathe.. wake up still not be able to breathe and suffocate or something!!! Is that possible?

Favorite Answer

unfortunately, your brain convinces you that you really can't breathe. Have you ever seen the Matrix? If so, the same principle applies.

I've had dreams where I got punched in the side of the head and remember having a horrible headache afterwards. I woke up with a headache. If your brain tells your body to believe it, it's real.

You need to go see a sleep specialist. they will monitor your activity as you sleep & see what is really going on. Not to scare you but I know you have heard of people dying in their sleep. it is possible. When you are not breathing, oxygen is cut off from your heart & brain which alerts it to a heart attack....while you're sleeping.

Don't take this lightly, but don't be scared also. it it treatable & hypertension can cause it too. You may also need to change the way you are sleeping to clear up your airways. Definitely get it checked, especially if you snore. Then it is a respiratory issue that needs to be addressed.

Take care

You may have asthma!

I have a mild case of asthma (exersize induced), and I had a dream where I couldn't breath & I woke up to an asthma attack. Try to stay as calm as possible, and definitely go see your doctor--keeping an inhaler next to your bed might help (if asthma is what you have).

there´s a condition which causes the rispiratory muscles to relax too much while youre sleeping. thats whats causing the dreams, not the other way round. 99% of the time it will wake you up before you suffocate, you just wont get a good night sleep. as far as i know its treatable. go to the doc

You may be having an anxiety attack in your sleep. Whatever you were dreaming about may have cause it. You need to pay attention to your dreams. Or it can be cause by a medical condition, I would let my doctor know about that.

It's possible you suffer from sleep apnea. I'd visit your doctor and try to get a referral to a sleep clinic if your doctor suspects the same. My father suffered from it, but then had a simple surgery, and now he and my mom sleep very well.

• nason

that's well-referred to as a nighttime time terror at first. not popular in older people, I fairly have them. that's rare and runs in enjoyed ones lines. I in my view get the equivalent ingredient, the "paralyzed" sensation is well-referred to as sleep paralysis; sleep paralysis could additionally shop on hallucinations, that are a rarer style of sleep paralysis. One reason you probable having those frightening nightmares and paralyzed sensations could be on account that of a desirable precipitated stress. different than that, the clarification you're having the paralyzed sensation is on account that your strategies notwithstanding hasn't registered which you're conscious, and as quickly because it registers, your physique gets properly. Your center could be powerfuble to restore to commonplace additionally, on account that, you're having an alarm reaction on account that, your strategies thinks the nightmare is unquestionably going on, so as which you merely have have been given to hit your rest era on an identical time as your physique ultimately realizes it became as quickly as merely a nightmare. that's not something out of the common, and take a glance at to regulate with them, I comprehend they are waiting to get frightening, I in my view sleep with a nighttime time gentle some nighttime time on account that i'm getting so annoying by way of them.

I have had very similar experiences and come to find out it was my anxiety. I was having anxiety attacks in my sleep. Very scary, I feel for you. Go to a doctor

You should probably go to a doctor. It sounds like you may have sleep apnea or you may be having panic attacks in your sleep

Relax. You won't die. That's why your brain wakes you up. If you die, it's because your partner is holding a pillow over your face to keep you from breathing.