Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Has anyone in your family ever used a self made recipe that no-one else can duplicate? My Grandmother use to?

make these sugar cookies every Holiday but since she passed away years ago no-one can duplicate her recipe. We have it, she wrote it down, but she must have done something else that isn't on paper. I use to make them with her, she measured by the hand, maybe that's it. Just wondering if any of you have ever experienced the same?

Clare, mine once added salt intead of sugar to a blueberry pie she made for a neighbor. LOL

• Clare
    Favorite Answer

That sounds just like how my Grandma was. She was a wonderful cook, but never used recipes. She added a "handfull" of this, and a "dash" of that. I'd love to know how she made some of those things. But, I'll never forget the time she made my favorite pie, lemon meringue, and forgot the sugar! LOL

• My grandmother's recipes are the same way and so far I have been the only one who comes close to duplicating them and much of it is done by feel - maybe my hands are about the same size as hers were (lol) - but don't forget the one thing that she put in that can't be measured - LOVE.

My grandmother made an amazing Salsa that no one was able to duplicate. When she passed family members turned her kitchen upside down looking for a recipe. She said she would take it with her and I guess she wasn't kidding!

Yes. My grandmother used to do that. She could just mix a bunch of stuff together and wahlah! an entire meal that was fantastic. She rarely ever used a recipe. She couldn't tell anyone exactly what she did to make it. She'd try but nobody could make it the same way she did. To me, that is a gift. I wish I could do that. haha.

Yes, and you are right, her hand measure is what did it. You should measure as she did, with your hand and keep practicing, you will get it. My mom's mom made yeast cinnamon rolls/doughnuts and no one could copy her recipe BUT my sister, with time has mastered it and they are very similar! My dad's mom made the best chicken gravy and no one has come close in our family. I married a man who can make it even better than she did! (According to my dad.)

My mother-in-law. She will share her recipes but always changes it just a bit so no one can duplicate it exactly. She has them all written down but my sis-in-law and I don't get them until she passes, so I'm no hurry to get them! We'll just keep requesting her "special dishes!"

well that's your own fault you you should teach theo to keep inventory for such a bright monkey it shouldn't be too hard to learn 2800 cookbooks by heart right... can you just imagine the sight of you asking him for a cheesecake recipe and little theo immediately finding the right book and the right page.

moms hunters stew it's taken me 25 years to get close but still, a certain something is missing

• Jessi

my grandmother's peach cobbler...I made it for her one weekend because she is unable to get into the kitchen because of an illness....turned out ok, but it didn't taste like hers...she loved it and that helped