Has anyone in your family ever used a self made recipe that no-one else can duplicate? My Grandmother use to?

make these sugar cookies every Holiday but since she passed away years ago no-one can duplicate her recipe. We have it, she wrote it down, but she must have done something else that isn't on paper. I use to make them with her, she measured by the hand, maybe that's it. Just wondering if any of you have ever... show more make these sugar cookies every Holiday but since she passed away years ago no-one can duplicate her recipe. We have it, she wrote it down, but she must have done something else that isn't on paper. I use to make them with her, she measured by the hand, maybe that's it. Just wondering if any of you have ever experienced the same?
Update: Clare, mine once added salt intead of sugar to a blueberry pie she made for a neighbor. LOL