Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 decade ago

red light cameras?

I emergency stopped just as a light turned red, however, the camera still flashed. The white stop line was in between the middle of my front tyre and back tyre. Is this an offence even if if i did not go through the junction?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I'm afraid you might still be fined.

• Danny
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Technically, if you crossed the white line, you committed an offence.

However, red light cameras usually take two photo's,

1 to show you crossing the line and the 2nd to show you carried on.

The law says, you should only stop as the lights change if it is safe to do so and won't cause an accident,

although I'm assuming it was on red as you stopped so they could argue that you are guilty of driving without due care and attention.

I'm assuming you only realised the light was on red at the last minute?

If you get a ticket, you could appeal on the grounds that you were stopped in traffic and then the lights changed so you didn't proceed maybe?

The photo's will show you didn't cross the junction so you should be OK.

it may be that if you were far enough back or (as you did an emergency stop) the car behind you was very close to you when the camera flashed in which case your registration number may have been obscured from the view of the camera.

You are just going to have to wait and see if anything arrives through the post but if you don't carry on across the junction you will probably be lucky.

Hope that helps

Danny

Source(s): Driving Instructor
  • John W
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Not sure about this but i thought that the offence was committed if you pass over the white line, they may still get you for it, if so then there isn't really a lot that you can do..

On another note, was it actually safe for you to do an "emergency stop" as this manoeuvre causes a lot of accidents all on its own..

You can only learn the lesson with hindsight now i'm afraid...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Unfortunately given the variety of opinions it seems you will have to wait to find out.

Cameras do flash twice, so it may show you didn't drive across the junction on red.

Also- it may be that the angle of the camera didn't catch your numberplate if most of your car was on the correct side of the line.

It could also be that the camera had run out of film.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Possibly, as the camera has a picture of you crossing the line, you'd have to prove somehow that you stopped and weren't just carrying on through.

Next time don't be so stupid as to try and race the lights.

Emergency stopping that way is an accident waiting to happen.

• 1 decade ago

Like Jon says, it was probably someone else the camera got. Normally they photograph the back end of the car as it passes through the junction, it sounds like you didn't get that far.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If the camera went off then you were far enough through and it is an offence. Wait and see if you get a penalty charge notice. If you do then try appealing it maybe xx

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because you were breaking, the camera will pick up the fact that you didn't travel far, if you didn't stop at all it would no this. they are like the speed cameras, with the lines down the road, when you break on the lines the camera cant tell how fast you travelled or will think you were going slow.......................(Does that make sense?)

• Jon
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

It may have not been you it flashed at, If you had someone else going through in front of you, they may be the one who got the shot from the camera.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

You may get a ticket, and you should go to court and explain the circumstances. The police may or may not even be aware that the light was not working. If you had someone with you in the car, bring them to court with you. Maybe the judge will understand, but i doubt it...

• 1 decade ago

It is still an offence. You may be fine keep your fingers crossed for two weeks.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.