In iTunes, how can I move my music on one laptop to another?

I bought a new computer and installed iTunes. I need to get all my music onto this computer from my old one. Alternatively, how do I get all my music and videos from my iPod onto a new computer???

• T M
    Favorite Answer

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Note: If all of your music is already on your iPod then just use Method #2.

Transferring iTunes Music (make sure that your iTunes is set to "manually manage music")

Method #1:

Download iDump or any other similar software from download.com (for free).

(The following steps are tailored for Windows XP. It will work for Vista as well but the steps may be slightly different. Also, this method does not require third party software or an internet connection. This method will transfer ALL songs from iPod to computer. Use Method #1 to transfer specific songs.)

Method #2:

>Connect iPod to computer.

>”Start.”

>”My Computer.”

>Double Click iPod icon.

>”Tools.”

>”Folder Options.”

>”View.”

>Select “Show Hidden Files & Folders” and click “OK.”

>Right click “iPod Control” folder.

>Select “Properties.”

>Unselect “Hidden” and click “OK.”

>A window will pop up. Select “Apply changes to this folder, subfolder and files” and click “OK.”

>Double click “iPod Control" folder.

>Double click “Music" folder.

>You will notice folders labeled “F00, F01, F02, F03, F04, etc.”

>Open up iTunes side by side with this window. Make sure that the “Music Library” is displayed and make sure that iPod/iTunes is set to "manually manage music."

>In iTunes select “Edit>Preferences>Advanced>and make sure that ‘Keep iTunes Music Folder Organized’ and ‘Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to Library’ are checked and click ‘OK.’” You should also make sure that your iPod/iTunes is set to “Manually Manage Songs” so that you have control over what you want to add or delete (to do this select the iPod icon under “Devices” on the left column of the screen and select “Manually Manage Music” under “Options.”).

>Drag all of the yellow folders (not the Read Me files) directly into iTunes “Music Library.” I’m talking about the part that has song name, artist, track number, etc.

>Done.

Method #3

Use your iPod as an external hard drive (note: if you do this you won’t be able to listen to any of the songs through the iPod; this method is primarily for ease of transferring music). Locate the actual music folder which iTunes uses to display/play your songs.

>For most computers its going to be in “Start>My Music>iTunes>iTunes Music.”

>After you have located the music folders open up the iPod window by going to “Start>My Computer>iPod Drive.”

>Place the windows side by side and drag the music folder into the iPod window. Now you are using the iPod as external hard drive instead of an MP3 player. If you want you can even transfer word documents and photos as well.

>Once you get to the computer in which you want to transfer the music you simply open the iPod “Start>My Computer>iPod Icon” and drag the music folders into the iTunes Library interface (the largest part of the screen which displays song name, artist, track number, etc.). Now that music is on a new computer.

>Just make sure to delete those music folders in the iPod because they will be taking up valuable space. I would make sure the songs transfer successfully first though.

Source(s): Done it.
  • Zach

You have to go into My Computer or Macintosh HD and copy the folder iTunes or iTunes Music onto an external hard drive, then replace that folder with the existing iTunes folder on your new computer. It's a lot of dragging and dropping.

As for your iPod, Apple has specifically made it so it can't transfer files from one computer to another (fileshare prevention). So the best way that it can be done is doing what I explained above.

Best of luck to you.

Well, you could just copy your music folder onto an external hard drive. Plug and play.

As for your iPod, stick the USB cable it comes with into the new machine. It should load as a new drive (or appear in iTunes) and you can sync it up same as before.

If you have a flash drive large enough to hold all your music, or at least big enough to transfer in a couple trips..that would be a good option. You can just install iTunes on your new computer when you get it from apple's website.

Copy your music onto a chip or there is a button on file where you can import music to another account. But if you want to get it on a different Laptop, you are going to have to buy a chip and transfer it or connects your laptops together.

You could, go into my music in the itunes folder in my docs, copy and paste the files to a memory stick, then put the memory stick in your laptop and voila they should transfer to itunes automatically.

Source(s): I've Done this before :)

just copy the music folder to the hard drive and paste it there ,after move it to your new pc .

• Nova

the same way you got it on your old computer, honey...

import it from your Pod, CDs, etc.

the use of an USB-Stick or external drive ain't a bad idea either.

you can't. if its your friends laptop your trying to swich and he has a ipod with his music in it, his music will go on your ipod and delet all of your other music.

just plug the thing in the PC!

thats all