Dog Nutrition - Holistic at Home?

Hi, I have a dog who I have decided to take off a commercial diet -- if you must know why, I've just heard enough accounts of dogs getting sick or dying on mainstream dog food that I no longer feel comfortable feeding it to him; this is not based on the dog food recall. Currently, he's eating cooked... show more Hi,

I have a dog who I have decided to take off a commercial diet -- if you must know why, I've just heard enough accounts of dogs getting sick or dying on mainstream dog food that I no longer feel comfortable feeding it to him; this is not based on the dog food recall.

Currently, he's eating cooked lean meats and carbs, such as white rice and bread, prepared at home (this is also a question mark to me), and I want to supplement them with the proper vitamins and minerals. But I'm not sure as to what kind of a supplement will be needed to nourish a dog on this kind of a diet. He's a Pekingese, about 5 years old, 15~ lbs, and pretty healthy.

Ideally, I'm seeking the advice of people who are also feeding their dogs a NON Iams, Purina, Eukanuba etc. diet and are knowledgable in holistic dog nutrition.

Thanks.