Travel during the naturalization process?

I started the naturalization process 3 months ago. During those 3 months, I traveled outside the US for a week (my best friend's wedding). Tomorrow is my oath and they are asking me if I traveled outside the US. Is this a problem? nobody told me.

Best Answer

It wont be a problem as long as you answer all their questions truthfully....

No, they just have to make sure you weren't out over your time limit. When you become a Citizen, you can't have been out of the US for more than 6 months during the last 4 years and a day. Just tell them about your trip, how long it was. As long as your not over your limit of days for the last 5 years (must have been in the US 30 months during the last 5 years) and your trip wasn't over 6 months, you won't have any problem.

Source(s): http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf pages 18 and 19 of publication (21 and 22 of pdf)

I don't think it matters- I started the process last Jan and have travelled outside the US a couple of times. I suggest (and intend) being honest. I assume you have a green card which allows you to travel. Nothing is in any of the paperwork INS/Homeland Security has sent me since the start of this to indicate travel isn't allowed.

Source(s): Going in on Thursday !!! :) Can't wait!
  • beien

you may commute exterior the U.S. as commonly used. do no longer placed your existence on carry only given which you opt for to naturalize. submit the N-4 hundred. There are actually not any regulations on commute on the same time as the N-4 hundred is pending. once you have your interview, be constructive to tell the examiner with regard to the trip. short little journeys like your cruise have no risky effect on your utility. you're allowed to commute until eventually now, after and by using the utility technique.