What are four ways states deny the right to vote to certain citizens?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Citizens who are ex-felons are not allowed to vote in some states.

Prior to this week's election, a group in Statesboro, Ga., styling itself Statesboro Citizens for Good Government challenged 909 registered voters on the grounds that as students at Georgia Southern University, they were not residents entitled to vote in city elections. State law requires such challenges to "specify distinctly the grounds of the challenge." Far from being distinct, the 909 challenges used an identical form, with a blank space for filling in the names of individual voters, and identical language that "the elector has come to Statesboro, Georgia, only for the temporary purpose of attending Georgia Southern University."

On September 20 the House passed a bill (H.R. 4844) that would, starting in 2010, effectively deny the vote to any U.S. citizen who cannot produce a passport or birth certificate (or proof of naturalization). Although the bill’s supporters present it as a measure intended to prevent non-citizens from voting, the bill’s main impact will be on U.S. citizens themselves. A national survey finds that approximately 11 million native-born citizens currently lack the required documents. A substantial number could have difficulty obtaining or affording them.

Across the nation, states have enacted new laws supposedly designed to prevent voter fraud and avoid election-day debacles. But qualified voters may also be left out in the cold, especially minorities, the poor, the elderly and the disabled.

Critics charge that the Bush administration is part of the problem as the U.S. Department of Justice, which is charged with protecting the rights of all voters, has signed off on a number of the new regulations.

In Florida, new penalties that can reach up to $5,000 for registration delays or problems, which forced traditional registration advocacy groups, like the League of Women Voters, to avoid registering voters for a crucial primary.

"The law has done harm because the League of Women Voters, as well as other organizations, were not able to register voters before the primary," said Dianne Wheatley-Giliotti, the president of the LWV in Florida.

And sometimes political operatives even stoop so low as to tell citizens to vote on the wrong day.

• jepsen
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

a.interior the south decrease back interior the overdue 1800's and early 1900's, they used to have intelligence checks and a polltax that would want to shop maximum blacks away. b.you may also set up polling places too some distance remote from the position they stay, or positioned too few machines in making the wait too lengthy. that is in difficulty-free words 1/2 and by ability of a few different person.

• 1 decade ago

call me ignorant, but I am not aware of any way any legal residents are denied or even slightly inconvenienced, in voting. to be honest, I do not have a problem with having to show an ID, which is supposedly a denial of certain groups, but it evades me. we are issued voter ID cards, when we register.

• Me
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

A few states require you to be residents of that particular state for a few months.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.